Drag times..First run

MYSC351

Apr 9, 2008
It's that time of the year again. Everyone's out running their new set-up.
Here's mine
1989 Convertible.

351W 2 bolt bottom end with stud girdle, forged pistons, and factory shot peened rods. Edelbrock heads and Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. 12 P.S.I. Procharger....All the F/I and ignition upgrades to accomidate along with TKO trans and 9" rear end.
K member front suspension with all around coil overs
R/T .279
60' 1.944
330 5.454
1/8 8.212 @ 89.30 MPH
1000 10.549
1/4 12.545..

The car is tuned to run a little rich and I have a smaller 12 P.S.I. pulley on the charger to keep the car reliable.

First time at the track with the this set up. I think I should be able to get into the mid-high 11's with the set-up, but I shifted at 5300 RPM to be cautious... I'm still a little worried about the bottom end holding up.

I made one pass and went home. The track was WAY to busy. Two hours between runs.. I had an 89 GT I consistently ran 14.3**. Almost never ran over .100 light...most where .050 or less... Problem I'm having is I've been running a bike (Honda CBR) for the last year... Totally different ball game...

I haven't decided yet If I'm going to run the bike or car next week... I just bought a front strap for the bike and I'm trying to bust into the 10's (should be NO problems, 11.34 was my best run last year and I've done a lot of practicing my launches with the front strap) and going for high 11's my next time out in the stang so it's a toss up... Maybe I'll run the bike for Friday night test-n-tune and bring the car out for midnight mayhem.:D

• Sponsors (?)

that slip is all over the place.

89mph in the 1/8 is enough to do 7.40s-7.50s depending on how well you 60ft.

That translates to ~11.70s as is.

What was the mph in the 1/4 . . . that will more show how much power it is making as I would imagine you should be backhalving 25mph.

1/4 speed was 111 MPH... I didn't realize the drastic gear reduction in fifth the TKO had. I shifted into fifth about 1 1/2 seconds before the finish. Big mistake...Took me down to about 3300 RPMs.....Also the suspension set-up helped the Mickey Thompson ET street tires hook MUCH better than I expected. I took it a little easy my first run as I'm used to alot more tire spin on my old stock stang with regular radial tires...
Next week I'll push it a little harder..I don't think high 11's will be a problem by next week.

EDIT: How much HP/Torque are factory shot peened rods good for? Once I get a little more consistent with the set-up I'm planning to swap pulleys and remap the computer. The rods are the weakest part of my bottom end right now...

I would say the car has alot of potential to be faster..alot faster. My car first time out did a 7.65 at 90mph and my best is a 7.46 at 92mph 1.6x 60ft (347 N/A 3.55 gear C4)

89 mph good for 7.50s hmmmm dont think so. I was running 87 mph on NA and I was pulling 1.6 60 ft and I was running 8.03. The only way I think you could run 7.50s is with like a 1.2 60ft which would be difficult to pull on a street car

Ummm...

I went 7.48 in my dads 91 with a 90 mph trap, and 2 7.49s @ 89 mph with 1.60 60's.

I went 7.94 in my car wth a mesely 1.69 60 and did it at 85 mph. A driver can make a slow mph look good!

That 351 combo is good for deep 11s, no worries. shift it where it wants, launch it harder and leave it in 4th.