Drive Shaft Options???

eric n

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
Since I have had my gears changed from 3.00 to 3.70 I have noticed a lot of vibration at speeds around 80 mph. Since traffic on most of the freeways around here travels at this speed, I am feeling vibrations OFTEN.

I've had a couple of mechanics look at my car and they both seem to think this is due to the more aggressive speed my drive shaft is rotating to attain this speed. So my options are

a. Have my drive shaft balanced

or

b. Buy an aluminum (already balanced) driveshaft.

If there isn't a significant performance difference I'd like to go the cheaper route. If there are real differences, I don't mind spending the extra. Also I will be building a 342 this summer and expect to be around 340-350 rwhp. That said is this amount of hp going to be detrimental to either setup???

Appreciate the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

First I would make sure the U-joints are in good condition, then I would go with the balance job. Aluminum is cool but I do not think it is worth the expense, unless you're into big time racing. This is just an opinion, not a fact based on experience or analysis. You might also check the balance of the wheels.

new u joints and a balance cost....$100? or more?

A new aluminum driveshaft is $279...plus you can sell your old one and get some of your money back.

Or, get an aluminum one out of an aerostar van and have it shortened.

shane

I don't think you will ever notice a difference going to an aluminum shaft. If I were you, I would have your shaft checked first. Make sure it isn't bent or out of balance. Check the yokes, especially the slip yoke on the trans. Check the slip yoke splines as well as the splines on the output shaft of the trans for any abnormal wear. Check the u-joints and replace with good, solid joints (I use spicers).