Dumb to buy Smart?

Sanctus

May 17, 2005
Trabuco Canyon
Okay, if your life is defined by how many miles per gallon your car gets, you need to reevaluate your priorities. However, with the rising costs of gas I decided to just look at the Specs of the Smart FourTwo. And I'm not sure if I'm the only one but the numbers really aren't THAT enticing.

Let's look at the specs:
Price: $11,590-16,590
Seats: 2
Length: 106''
Engine: 61 cubic inches
Hp: 70
Tq: 68
Weight: 1,808lbs
EPA Fuel Economy: 40/45 (EPA 2007); 33/41 (EPA 2008)

Now I don't think anyone would be angered over getting that kind of mileage, but I also don't think those numbers are going to persuade many people to trade in their gas gulpers for a Smart car. I was caught off gaurd because for a 2-seater of that size and class, I expected something more along the lines of 50-70mpg. I didn't think that mileage was too far out of the realm of technological possibility in the 21st century, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now if they were at all visually appealing, maybe. But untill they make a diesel version, or a hybrid version, then I can't see any logical application outside of the confines of NYC or San Francisco.

What do you think? Is the current Smartcar MPG acceptable? I know most of you probably aren't fans of the car itself. But what about it's performance?

• Sponsors (?)

The Smart #s are definitely nothing to write home about! My '98 diesel Jetta got 43+ MPG and had room for four, not nearly as much as the previously mentioned Passat. I'm not worried that much over fuel mileage as my Jetta hasn't even been started since Nov '06 and is just wasting away! I'd much rather cruise around a 300+ HP car that gets 20+ MPG than a 90 HP boring car that gets 43 MPG!

The Smart car was designed with the European driver in mind. It is more about having a really small car so that you can find parking. It is not about mpg. If you live in a large city were parking is at a premium then they are great. If gas mileage is what you want then they suck.

We could have a lot of vehicles getting 40-50+ MPG if the oil companies and certain gov't agencies would give up some profit to invest in these other fuel/engine ideas and then they would be swimming in the profit from that. Until then...:shrug:

Heck, back in '92 I used to have a Geo Metro that got over 50 mpg...that Smart is certainly overrated.

But, here my greatest beef with the Smart car:

http://lvb.net/media/1/20060519-smart-3.jpg

Until this ad campaign in South Africa, I had nothing against the Smart car or Daimler-Chrysler. I have previously owned a Mercedes and a Dodge. However, I pride myself on being a man of integrity and principle. America should do the right thing and BOYCOTT the Smart car. Those marketing geniuses wanted to distant themselves from America so let’s give them what they asked for!!!
:flag:
Daimler_Chrysler_Smart_BOYCOTT_by_P.jpg

Wow. Well, I had nothing against Smart, until now. ***** that. Apparently, some genius in their marketing department hasn't heard of the internet. Did they really think that it wouldn't make it back to America?

Yes, it matters. They're trying to sell us these cars, yet in other countries, they're bashing America in their advertising. We're not bashing the French in our ads, then trying to sell them our cars. Sure, people make comments about the French, and other countries for that matter. But they don't put it in print like that. It's not people making the comments. It's a company and their advertising.

Yeah, and everyone knows we hate the French...

And as for that ad, it's factually incorrect. Henry Ford, an American, is credited with the invention of the assembly line. Which is how SmartCars are made last time I checked... It doesn't matter that their assembly line is composed of highly skilled 8 year olds with Lego's and glue guns.

We have a smart here at my work place. We've driven it around. Buy a Yaris or Fit instead. Or heck even a Focus!

It's too small, impractical, takes literally 3 seconds to shift from gear to gear, your leg keeps bumping the center shifter (knocking it out of flappy paddle gearbox mode) it takes FOREVER to get up to 60mph, interior and exterior mainly flimsy plastic bits, the car is afraid of ten-speed bicycle riders in a crash, using the on-ramp on a fast moving freeway and merging is a religious experience.

PASS.

I'm surprised how no one has mentioned how they require premium gasoline.

That's what really gets me, all the answers to high gas prices still involve using gas with only lip service paid to alternatives like fuel cells and bio-fuels.

I read an article today about how we produce enough cow **** in this country to create enough bio fuel each year to supply up to 5% of our annual energy needs. Imagine if we turned all of our human biological waste into fuel as well, and supplemented that with other waste that just gets dumped down the drain.

The technology is there to significantly reduce our oil use, we don't need to drive these tiny crap little smart cars to fight high gas prices.

-Steve