Duraspark box vs HEI module

92LX5spd

15 Year Member
Feb 23, 2013
I've read about quite a few folks being happy with HEI modules hooked up to their Duraspark distributors. Seems like a good way to go as long as you use a quality module. Are there any advantages in going with the standard Duraspark box?

• Sponsors (?)

I've read about quite a few folks being happy with HEI modules hooked up to their Duraspark distributors. Seems like a good way to go as long as you use a quality module. Are there any advantages in going with the standard Duraspark box?
Clearance problems with fox body stock Air cleaners...... Other than that loved em in all of my GM cars.....

Yeah same here. I'm going to stick with the Duraspark distributor itself to avoid clearance issues but probably use a remote HEI module as the "brains". I was just curious if the original Duraspark box had any advantages over the HEI module other than keeping the set-up "all Ford".

Yeah same here. I'm going to stick with the Duraspark distributor itself to avoid clearance issues but probably use a remote HEI module as the "brains". I was just curious if the original Duraspark box had any advantages over the HEI module other than keeping the set-up "all Ford".

The ignition systems on our cars are pretty stout. Healthy enough that they've run countless boosted applications exceeding 500 CHP with zero reservations. Like every other ignition system on the planet, they have their weaknesses and components that are less robust than the rest of the system. Even those components (TFI comes to mind) are not what I'd consider "weak". I think I've changed mine once over a span of 15 years of daily use and another 10 as a garage queen.

I have all the factory components and never changed a PiP sensor (another common issue). When I added boost, I also added a Boost-a-Spark which is nothing more than a voltage regulator that keeps the coil saturated even during an electrical system voltage drop or spike.

For the most part, I consider such conversions to be for the cool factor :cool: though I don't understand it myself. :O_o:

Now, replace the EEC with something more modern and I can begin to see the benefits. :coff:

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the biggest benefit to HEI is everything is with the distributor.. Coil and all.... Just add 12 volts.....
Other than that ??
I remember when Delco came out with the points that had the attached condenser..... Sure made life easier not losing the tiny screw that held the condenser under the cap....... Same idea.....

Last edited: