dyed dashes...need to know ASAP

5ohVert

Jul 26, 2008
How hard is it to dye a dash? Once I do most body/mechanical work, i'm going to work on the interior. How hard is it to dye a dash? I was going to dye or paint mine, but they have a guy selling his dash and center for 25 bucks. THe only thing is it's about an hour and a half away..worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

i am guessing this is a black dash that your after and that sure is a hike with the way gas prices are .it would have to be mint for me to make the trip but it would be worth it.i have 2 myself and the first one i got was less than perfect and i had planned on spraying it but got lucky with a complete black clean interior for 200 bucks.

The one thing I can say about dyeing or painting the plastic trim is that prep is very important. Clean with rubbing alcohol and then use the prep spray that is availabe where you buy the dye

See SEM Vinyl And Plastic Color Coat (Aerosol Can) or do a google search on VINYL PREP - you'l find lots of places that sell it.

Texas Mustang parts has the specific colors for Mustangs. See Texas Mustang Parts   //   Waco, Texas and check out the Interior section

I dyed my interior quarter panels w/dye and prep spray from 50Resto. Came out awesome and it's very durable. They have special dye solutions for softer surfaces like these, or harder ones like the dash.

I can show you pictures if you like.

SEM Vinyl dye....landau black. Comes out perfect. Like jrichker said, it's all in the prep. Clean it off VERY well with an alcohol based liquid, I used brake clean. I put on many coats, came out perfect.

One hint that really sells it, use a small brush and white paint to get the open and closed logos on the ac registers. If they are left black, it doesn't look right....make them white like stock, and it will really make the dash look 100% original.

Here's a pic, how's it look?

IMG00027.jpg
[/IMG]

Hard to tell from that pic....did you dye it? Did you remove the AC vents and take them apart...or can you see the original color through the vents?

they look great for such a fuzzy pic if you can get better pics and they look clean and not faded from the sun i would make the trip and get them.i am not a big fan of dyeing although it has come a long ways in the last 15 years .

Well, nothing beats an original black dash. I love the way mine came out, it looks perfect...gets just as dirty as normal black dash....and it cleans up just like a normal black dash. But at the end of the day, it's a dyed dash and NOT original black.