e-brake cables to use??

Hello guys. Hopefully someone can help. I converted my '87 GT vert to 5 lug and rear disc. I used Lincoln Mark VII (85-91) axles, rotors and calipers. I was told to use '86 SVO e-brake cables. Well, they didn't work!! Can anyone out there lead me to the right e-brake cables??? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What didn't work about them? I used 86 SVO cables from Autozone and they worked fine, but I had to get the "U" shaped connection and the pins and clip for the cable end to hook to the ebrake lever from a donor Mark VII. I cut a slot in the "U" to put it on the cable and JB Welded it closed. The cables I got even had the return spring like the stock ones. For the center cable that attached to the handle and joins the two side cables I used the FMS adjustable center cable. You should modify the ebrake handle by cutting and welding it to defeat the self adjuster. It all works just fine for me. Here is a pic:
ebrake4.jpg

What is and where do I get FMS adjustable center cable? The cables I bought from Rock Auto are a Wagner application with the return springs also. I had a hard time hooking them up to the center cable at the handle under the car. I've tried to use the e-brake without success. I'll pull up on the handle and the cables won't move.

It is the FMS M-2810-A cable from any Ford Motorsports dealer for about $20. It is a cable with a threaded rod on the end that replaces the cable from the handle to the equalizer that combines the two back cables.

The reason it is not engaging is probably due to the self adjuster Ford put in the handle. It is a rachet assembly and it really only works with the drum brakes. You have to take the handle out and modify it like in the Cobra brake kit instructions here: http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html

Scroll down to the ebrake handle and cables section and click on the links to the pictures to see what needs to be done.

If you do both of these, you should not have a problem adjusting the cable under the car so it will engage the brakes just fine. Mine have worked perfectly for over a year now.

Good luck!