e303 cam?

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
Texas City TX
hey guys,
im building a list of things im going to put in my engine when i rebuild it this winter and im having a dillema over which cam to choose. I want a cam that give me good power for the money, has a good lope sound but isnt too radical of a cam. Lately ive been reading and from what ive gathered the e303 cam just doesnt produce very noticable gains. Am i wrong?

So far im thinkin of this:

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifolds
Edelbrock 70mm TB
E303 cam????
Rebuilding my stock heads and having them mildly ported
Ford Roller rockers

tell me what you think...

• Sponsors (?)

i noticed a difference with the cam. as for porting the stock heads, i wouldnt pay for it. if you were doin it yourself, then yeah. The $$ you spend on the port work could just go towards a different mod that will probably net you close to the same gains and then can also use when you decide to ditch the stock POS heads.

I agree with TrickStang37.

As far as the cam goes, I think the E303 is pretty good cam. Slightly outdated yes, but still works. I would recomend A Trick Flow stage 1 cam over it though. It's cheaper, makes more power, and sounds better. Some people say it lacks on the bottom end, but I installed mine 4* advanced and it rips.

how much do you think having my heads rebuilt and ported would cost?

Also, what else would i need to replace while im doing my camshaft, i know i need roller rockers but what kind, what else would i need to replace?

deftsound said:
So far im thinkin of this:

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifolds
Edelbrock 70mm TB
E303 cam????
Rebuilding my stock heads and having them mildly ported
Ford Roller rockers

tell me what you think...

WAY TOO much intake for the heads you'll have. Do you plan to upgrade to better heads in the near future (next year or so)?

basically i wouldnt mess with the intake/cam on a stock headed vehicle, they're matched up pretty well as is. You would have much more fun with gears and could benefit later when you really decide to upgrade. a ballpark figure for the heads would be like $200 each to get them rebuilt + port work, which around here is like $500++.

TrickStang37 said:
basically i wouldnt mess with the intake/cam on a stock headed vehicle, they're matched up pretty well as is. You would have much more fun with gears and could benefit later when you really decide to upgrade. a ballpark figure for the heads would be like $200 each to get them rebuilt + port work, which around here is like $500++.
Nope...stock intake sucks. Lower anyway. At the very least I would consider having it ported. Good call on the gears though. Performer RPM is a little too much intake for what you've got. You'de be just as well buying a standard Performer if you're going to replace the intake.

As for cam selection....Either one of those CompCam grinds will perform better at ALL RPM than the E303. The only advantage that the alphabet cams have over most dual pattern grinds on the market now a days is that they're cheap. You'll want to upgrade your valve springs if you've got any sort of mileage on them. I'd change them out just the same. The stock ones are barely up to the task of spinning the stock bump stick, never mind one with a little lift and duration.

ok so heres the list:

1) E303 Cam
2) Edelbrock Performer Intake manifolds
3) 70mm TB
4) Rebuilt stock heads (ported if i can afford it)
5) Double Rolling timing chain
6) New valve springs
7) Roller Rockers
8) All new gaskets

do i need new pushrods or anything to handle the new cam or will this do it?

I like the E cam. I know there are newer and possibly better cams that can be matched to improved combos. I have the e cam with ported gt40 heads and cobra intake (lower ported on my bench) and I made 276 rwhp/314 torque on the dyno last month. At the time, I had an 11.5 air/fuel ratio. I've since leaned it out a bit.

I feel that the E cam has good driveability for a street car. Also, the restrained lope is nice.

I like my E cam in my motor. I have P/P E7 heads, and the usual bolt ons. Car lumps pretty nicely. Car doesn't make power over 5500 rpms. It is pretty much a combination of the stock heads and the cam doesn't make power over that area RPMs. Overall its a good cam and I wouldn't hesitate to go with it again with STOCK heads.

What i would recommend is call CompCams and tell them what you have done to your car, and where you want to go with it. They can recommend a cam for you. I did and couldnt be happier, I got the comp 270XE and it sounds good and pulls like hell from idle to 5800-6000. Just a thought