E303 Cam

Maison Zimny

Jan 26, 2017
hello, I have a 1994 cobra, with a Bama tuner, off-road h-pipe, slp cat back, 65mm TB, and a cold air intake. I was wondering if I needed anything else to install a Ford E303 cam, would I need new heads or anything like that?

• Sponsors (?)

Cam will work with your current heads, but do you plan on changing anything else anytime soon, or will this be the combo you will run for a while?

If so, I'd probably seek out a different cam. Nothing wrong with the e303, I just think if you are going to go through the trouble, there are better cams to select.

Reactions: 1 user
Bell bottom jeans are try'n to make a comeback too.
You wouldn't use a computer from 1993, why not take advantage of todays technology?
Your gonna get a better performing car with a cam that matches your combo.

The "alphabet" cams are old tech...

What you want is a split duration cam, the Ford heads are weak on the exhaust side. Your looking for more duration and or lift on the exhaust side, for a street cam I suggest a wider LSA 112 or greater. This will make more vacuum and will idle better.

The e cam is actually a decent profile...if you had a little more compression(10:1 or so) and the proper heads/intake/etc. I'm basing that opinion from reading and talking to a custom cam "expert" -Buddy Rawls(sp?). For a stock combo it's not worth much in the performance department. Also the tfs cam-not worth anything. You'll need better heads for any cam to be of any benefit.

Your 94 Cobra would have GT-40 heads, not gt40P.

basically, let the heads dictate what cam you run, and not the other way around. If you plan on changing out the heads anyway, hold off on the cam for now.

Reactions: 1 users
I ran an e303 cam for years and it was great. The e cam didn't affect my ecu...that I know of. I also ran 24lb injectors with calibrated MAF.

I've been known to run 1.7 roller rockers on the exhaust valves and 1.6s on the intake valves. Don't tell nobody...

Agreed, Ford really choked these motors up on the exhaust side.

I ran an e303 cam for years and it was great. The e cam didn't affect my ecu...that I know of. I also ran 24lb injectors with calibrated MAF.

I've been known to run 1.7 roller rockers on the exhaust valves and 1.6s on the intake valves. Don't tell nobody...

Agreed, Ford really choked these motors up on the exhaust side.
Usually works ok if you let it idle at 900 or above surging will occur at the stock idle value.

Since no one mentioned it. I'm not sure I'd trust the stock valve springs even in gt40 heads with that cam.

Since no one mentioned it. I'm not sure I'd trust the stock valve springs even in gt40 heads with that cam.
Exactly. Why would one install a new cam and keep the 20 year old springs?
I hear the springs that come with the trick flow topend kit aren't even up to par to handle the tfs1 cam that comes w/ the kit unless you opt for the "spring upgrade."
Get a good set of valve springs, maybe look at comp beehives. It'd also be a good time to replace the timing set since it's torn apart.
What the guys mean by a cam isn't worth it w/ those heads is that a cam swap might help a little, but it won't make a "slow car "fast."
Also what rear gear do you have? I have a cam that's similar to the e303, and when I had 2.73 gears drivability around town sucked. I had to ride the clutch and keep it revved up so not to "buck and chug" (this was w a tune). But w 3.73's all is well. Look at the advertised stall speed when shopping cams.

Last edited: