E7TE Question

Camshaft78

Sep 1, 2004
I was looking at pulling a pair of E7TE heads out of the junkyard. The yard said that it would cost me $100. Before I pull the heads, I want to make sure they're the right ones. What year Mustangs had the E7TEs? I did a search and found all kinds of great info about porting them, but no year range.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe those are from the later 5.0's, before the GT-40's. I have a set that came on an '88 5.0 H.O. They are not ambidextrous; when you install them, make sure the mounting holes for your accessories are in the front.

They are truck heads that evolved out of the E5TE truck heads. They have improved cooling passages and were used on all 5.0 Mustangs from 1987 through 1995 (with the exception of the Mustang Cobras).

Thanks everybody! I assumed they were from the '87-up. As soon as the snow melts i'll go and pull them off. I saw them when I went to get new seats last Monday. Hopefully there will still be something left...the Fox that they are currently residing in has no hood, intake, or valve covers.

Camshaft78 said:
Thanks everybody! I assumed they were from the '87-up. As soon as the snow melts i'll go and pull them off. I saw them when I went to get new seats last Monday. Hopefully there will still be something left...the Fox that they are currently residing in has no hood, intake, or valve covers.

What is keeping the heads from rusting? Sounds like these heads would need a complete rebuild making them not so cheap. I'd look into buying some used heads in good condition. One last tip, if ever in doubt stay away from the GT40P heads.

d

Anytime you want to read a Ford part #, the first character(a letter) indicates the decade the part was cast, and the second character(a number) indicates the single year of that decade. As far as I know, they began using this system in 1940, which would be A0. (though I've never seen a part that old in person) B8 would be 1958, C4 is 1964, D9 is 1979, and E7 is 1987 and so on.

The third character indicates which type of vehicle the part was cast for, T being truck, Z means Mustang, P for police service, V for Lincoln, O for standard Ford passenger car(I think?) There's others, but I can't recall them. Sometimes they're obvious, like T and P, other times they're ambiguous.

This is all very good information. We should have some sort of factory head "field guide" as a sticky here, seeing as there is never a shortage of head-related questions.

There's plenty of information scattered around the forums but the problem is not only arranging it logically but also giving credit where it's due to the various contributors.:SNSign:

I second the notion on the GT40P's............if ya'll know someone with a fox body who could use a set, let me know. Dang things won't work on my II, mainly because of the revised spark plug placement, wouldn't clear my headers

COBRAIIW said:
I second that.
Does anyone here have enough info to make a list?
I have a list in my (building stroker small block fords book) has numbers on heads and blocks. I will try to scan & post it here. Where are the numbers on a head located?? I did find out I have a mexican block 302 ,71 It was replaced by Ford motorsport.Still has the tag back by the flywheel. Anyone know what a block like this is worth. ?? Never been bored!

I heard somewhere that the mexican 302 block has a higher nickel content in the casting process, thus making it a bit more durable.
Might be worth more than a regular 302 to some engine builders.

itsaMustangtoo said:
I have a list in my (building stroker small block fords book) has numbers on heads and blocks. I will try to scan & post it here. Where are the numbers on a head located?? I did find out I have a mexican block 302 ,71 It was replaced by Ford motorsport.Still has the tag back by the flywheel. Anyone know what a block like this is worth. ?? Never been bored!
I have a '71 302 as well. I will have to look at the casting code when I pull it out of the car, that would be bizarre if we both had Mexican blocks!:eek:

I beleive I have that book you mentioned. What's the title?

Blue Thunder said:
Anytime you want to read a Ford part #, the first character(a letter) indicates the decade the part was cast, and the second character(a number) indicates the single year of that decade. As far as I know, they began using this system in 1940, which would be A0. (though I've never seen a part that old in person) B8 would be 1958, C4 is 1964, D9 is 1979, and E7 is 1987 and so on.

The third character indicates which type of vehicle the part was cast for, T being truck, Z means Mustang, P for police service, V for Lincoln, O for standard Ford passenger car(I think?) There's others, but I can't recall them. Sometimes they're obvious, like T and P, other times they're ambiguous.

Close but not exactly.

The part number indicates the year the basic part was designed, it could mean the intended first year of production, or the first year the part was produced. If memory serves there are 60's numbers showing up in 70's vehicles and visa versa.

Since there is a consistancy between Ford part numbers confusing the part number with the date it was made could get you into some trouble.*

The part numbering system was started in either the late late 50's or the early '60s and projeted bact to the early 50's or late 40's. I think '60 was the turn over to the new system, the 352-390 hp head wears a C0 number and hte 1960 352 HP block wears a EDC- number.

There are exceptions to the numbering system. They are rare but they do exist. Like a 66 427 block wearing 6AE-C. And then theres the Shelby carb ..... And others.

But generaly, hard and fast rule with a few exceptions that can cause confusion, the Ford PN System runs : decade, year, model line, sub system -base part - change level. (* About the model line position: there is a general model line designation meaning the part was used in more than one model. I remember 70s / or 80s numbers in 90s trucks.)

The date the part was cast[/b] is known as the Casting Date. It's a 4 place alpha-numeric. First place is the year in the decade and is a number. The second place is an alpha that denotes the month in the year. A for Jan, B for Feb, and so on. Take note: They skip I so Sept is J. The last two positions are numerical and denote the Day in the month the part was cast. ANOTHER NOTE: The casting date does not contain a decade, we're left up to our own devices to figure that out.

Camshaft78 said:
I have a '71 302 as well. I will have to look at the casting code when I pull it out of the car, that would be bizarre if we both had Mexican blocks!:eek:

I beleive I have that book you mentioned. What's the title?
How to build big inch ford small blocks. I scanned 2 pages , but they are too large to post , Any help?? if not e-mail me and I can send them to those who want them.

I was just channel surfing and came accross a rap video station and there was a cadillac with gullwing doors smoking donuts, right after that ( are you ready) was a sweet looking Black mustang II coupe ( ghia I think) with 20's on smokin donuts.. No sh@#$it

itsaMustangtoo said:
How to build big inch ford small blocks. I scanned 2 pages , but they are too large to post , Any help?? if not e-mail me and I can send them to those who want them.

I was just channel surfing and came accross a rap video station and there was a cadillac with gullwing doors smoking donuts, right after that ( are you ready) was a sweet looking Black mustang II coupe ( ghia I think) with 20's on smokin donuts.. No sh@#$it
How did they manage to fit 20's on a Mustang II?