E85

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I've been gettin the 10% for quite some time now and it seems to run fine. I try and push that on to my friends even though it costs $.02 more then the 87 octane. Figure per tank 1 gallon of renewable cleaner fuel used is better then the imported oil.

Don't shoot me for this.. But I've heard from a few forced import people that they use E85 and it runs fine. On the E85 site I listed above shows several non-flex 4.6's as being able to use it.

89 KS notch said:
Yeah I've been gettin the 10% for quite some time now and it seems to run fine. I try and push that on to my friends even though it costs $.02 more then the 87 octane. Figure per tank 1 gallon of renewable cleaner fuel used is better then the imported oil.

Don't shoot me for this.. But I've heard from a few forced import people that they use E85 and it runs fine. On the E85 site I listed above shows several non-flex 4.6's as being able to use it.

Hell, we can probably all use it, but fill up with what we are fed! I don't run it in small engines, however.

don't do it dude

with your current injector pulse lengths it will be a problem. E85 is 85 ethanol.
alchohol carrys most of the oxygen in its molecules needed to ignite. c6h12o6 the 06 is the prob. at 100 percent alchohol it takes 50 percent more air to fuel ratio for it to burn. i other words it run 50 leaner than 100 percent gasoline. if you are running really rich, say 12:1 you need to get to about 8:1 for pure alchohol to burn. interpolate for 85 percent alchohol to run. I was looking into this very thing when I discovered how FFV vehicles do it. they detect the different blends and adjust. you can get a tune to run it though. but 100 percent gas won't run well at that ratio. if you remember we used to run 10 percent alchohol and it ran crappy for me. that is only 5 percent lean. i hope they will introduce 50%. or go all the way to 100%. at those octane levels huge HP is not far behind.

I have ran 50-60% E85 with no problems in vehicles not made for it and had no decrease in MPG. I have not ran it in the stang since it is under warranty. All vehicles are made to run 10% ethanol so what is 30-40% more going to hurt?:D

The only thing that will happen if you run pure E85 or a 50-50 blend is it will wear out the gaskets in your fuel system quicker.

dont think so

forpit2000gt said:
does it do anything to the O2's?

that's something i didn't look into. the nirmal byproduct of alcohol is formaldehyde. my guess is no problem. ethanol is not a corrosive a methanol. i am not willing to risk the extreme lean condition from running 85. 50% makes it 25% lean. i guess it depends on your current ratio. DK's dyno sheet showed an initial 15:1 ratio before dropping a little. that would change him to 18.75:1. it might still burn, but the heat at high loads will kill it.

hotmustang331 said:
I think leaded gas will hurt your 02s...puts a coating on them when under like 400*s. If your running it hard then it will burn off...but for cruize it will probably mess them up.
We aren't talking about leaded gas. :nice:

In a mostly stock car, you can run up to about a 20% ethanol mix before you start noticing a drop off in power and performance. Higher than 20% and it really isn't worth it.

There isn't any cost save or oil save with ethanol in general either. It takes as much petroleum to make E85 as it does just making the gasoline in the first place.
The only reason it's cheaper at the pump is because the gov't subsidizes a portion of the costs. If there were more widespread E85 usage, then they wouldn't be able to afford doing that without jacking up taxes (either as a whole or on the E85) and as oil prices climb, so do the costs of making E85 until the whole infrastructure gets away from using oil for power.

So, while I applaud your thinking the right way about how to save energy and money, this really isn't feasible long-term.

Now, if you want to home-brew some bio-diesel that's a different story...