Easy Suspension question

351wRusty

Feb 8, 2004
Kelowna, BC
k im just not a 100% sure on this one..my buddy had a 88 5.0 GT cobra and he smashed it up..he is now looken for a new one and was askin me about the suspension..GT and LX..is there a difference..i told him im pretty sure there is..all i know know is i have GT rear springs :shrug:
thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Not the same. As of 1989, the GT package had exclusive gas pressurized hydraulic struts, variable rate coil springs and thicker front stablizer; the rear had GT specific gas pressurized shocks and freon filled quad shocks with a fatter rear anti sway bar. The LX was available with a special order "Sport series" which included some of this, but every LX didn't. LX's weren't given the GT suspension standard until 1990.

stangbear427 said:
Not the same. As of 1989, the GT package had exclusive gas pressurized hydraulic struts, variable rate coil springs and thicker front stablizer; the rear had GT specific gas pressurized shocks and freon filled quad shocks with a fatter rear anti sway bar. The LX was available with a special order "Sport series" which included some of this, but every LX didn't. LX's weren't given the GT suspension standard until 1990.

Nope. From 1987 on, the LX with the 5.0L package included the GT drivetrain, wheels/tires (ten holes instead of the turbines), GT/Handling suspension and steering. The GT suspension was part of the 5.0L option - if you got the V8, you got the GT suspension.....it wasn't an option.

Dude, my wife's '89 5.0 LX has smaller anti sway bars than my GT, definately didn't resist body roll like mine did with stock springs and dampners, and didn't have quad shocks. According to Carfax, it was always a 5.0 LX- it wasn't swapped in. I have been building Fox bodies for over ten years and have spent hours in a junkyard in NH that has thousands of 79-93 5.0 Mustangs exclusively, looking for the parts I needed. Many have the Sport option, many don't. After 1990, they all did.

stangbear427 said:
Dude, my wife's '89 5.0 LX has smaller anti sway bars than my GT, definately didn't resist body roll like mine did with stock springs and dampners, and didn't have quad shocks. According to Carfax, it was always a 5.0 LX- it wasn't swapped in. I have been building Fox bodies for over ten years and have spent hours in a junkyard in NH that has thousands of 79-93 5.0 Mustangs exclusively, looking for the parts I needed. Many have the Sport option, many don't. After 1990, they all did.

Dude, something's not right with her car. I've had 4 since 1985 - they were all the same.

Directly from "Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance Handbook":

"For 1985, the front stabilizer bar diameter on all 5-liter Mustangs was increased to 1.30 inches. This bar remained in service through 1993 and was also used on the 1993 Cobra R-model."

From 1984 1/2 to 1993 the rear sway bar was .79 inches.

"For 1985, the Quadra-Shock system entered full production on all V-8 Mustangs."

Over the years the front strut and rear shock valving was was retuned, but they remained fairly similar.

And Carfax don't mean squat - they have been wrong before.