Edelbrock Perfromer RPM heads/ About how much will I gain?

I have a stock 93 Cobra motor and was wondering how much I could gain from a set of heads (I like the Performer RPM's). I will have a cam before the heads, so you can take that into account also. I thought it would be like 50hp, but I just read an article in one of the Stang mags and they only gained like 35hp. Is this what I should expect?

• Sponsors (?)

Highbredcloud said:
if you got the money for the pefromer RPM's...save a bit more and get AFR's 165 and you'll get more HP than you would with the RPM's...

I agree. The AFRs are a little more expensive but they will show more peak/average hp and torque. The average power is the most important. You spend most of your time going from 4000-6000 than you do at 6000. The AFR will make more power.

with a set of AFR heads it would be wise to get a cam to take adventage of their flow...There was a guy around here that just put the AFR 165's on and kept stock everything...I think he had an intake but had a stock cam, TB, MAF and he went from around 230RWHP to 260 or 270RWHP...not too shabby if you ask me.

AFR's are great, but if you can get a deal on some edelbrocks then go for it. The HP difference between the two from what i've heard is pretty unnoticable for your average street car. There was alot of discussion over on the corral about this and from what i read ppl. with edelbrocks where running damn near the same times as the ppl. with AFR's.

I picked up some RPM's myself but i also got the heads for 600 bucks shipped to my door figure i'll polish the ports alittle maybe make the exhaust ports bigger an it'll be good to go.

I just added the Edlebrock Performer RPM's to my car. I think they are more durable for street use then the AFR and about the same performance for less money. I also added the Edelbrock Performer RPM II Intake and Plenum. I made a 90hp gain. I have the 303 cam along with a host of other modifications. Hope this helps!

CobraWannabe said:
I have a stock 93 Cobra motor and was wondering how much I could gain from a set of heads (I like the Performer RPM's). I will have a cam before the heads, so you can take that into account also. I thought it would be like 50hp, but I just read an article in one of the Stang mags and they only gained like 35hp. Is this what I should expect?

I went from 243rwhp/296ftlbs with these mods(1.7rr, pulleys, headers, exhaust, cobra intake manifold, C&L Maf, stock TB, stock heads, stock cam. Then when i added my performer heads i dynoed at 287rwhp/ 310ftlbs on the same dyno. The #'s are all STD corrected. Theres about a 10hp difference between AFR's and Edelbrocks. Im waiting to dyno with my cam in, il have #'s in the spring. Also i didnt have a real tune i just adjusted the fuel pressure a little but i definately could have pulled some more torque out of it.

Also just to add, from the MM&FF head shootout they had. The RPM heads with the 2.02 intake valves flowed more then the 165s did. But if your talking about getting the RPM's with 1.90 valves then it'll be about the same, the RPMs with the 1.90 intake valves are exactly like the performer heads only they are non-emmison's legal.