Edelbrock Power Package

If you are at sealevel or very close, then I recommend a 650 Holley with Vacuum secondaries, if above 3000ft elevation then I recommend a 600 cfm with vacuum secondaries. The weiand will drop you on your torque down low very little if any, however it will give you so much more power up top than the other manifolds.

• Sponsors (?)

Do not get that carb, first off it is a double pumper, you need vacuum secondaries. Second off do not buy a used carb, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with them. It is more trouble than it is worth, buy a new carb. A decent holley is not expensive. If you are very carb illiterate then an edelbrock may be in order, it will be a nice simple carb to slap on and drive. The holley will make more power, and get the same economy but will require tuning.

ok...i am not ver literate when it comes to carbs, but i think i can get someone to adjust and tune it for me...do you have any recommendation on a specific holey to go with the weiand intake...

The street avenger carbs are awesome on the street, and will get really good power out of the engine. Look them up and see what you think. If you atleast know someone experienced enough to tune it for you then go with the holley, you can always read up though and learn through trial and error. Either way do not get a used carb, get a brand spanking new one, it will work perfectly and if it has issues it is covered by warranty.

thanks man for all the help...i am trying to gather all the info i can before i start sinking money into this project. when i sell my bike it will be underway...i will look in to the holley's and see what i can do about getting a roller 5.0...you think it would be wise to rebuild the bottom end if i fount a 5.0 with less than 100k, or do you think it would be ok to use...i wonder how much it would cost to do a lower end on a newer 5.0? thanks again, and if i am bugging you with all the q's sorry, i just like to gather as much info as possible before i dive into something...

Not a problem, ask all the questions you want that is what we are here for. The 5.0 is a great engine, you should rebuild the bottom end though. It doesn't cost that much if you go with Hypereutectic, forged will cost more. The rest of the rotating assembly can remain the same, and then just a bore, hone, ARP rod bolts, and new bearings, and you would be good to go. Shouldn't cost too much, unless you have someone else do the work, which I don't recommend, it is very easy and simple to do yourself, even if you haven't done it before, just make sure to as a lot of questions and be very very thorough.

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Not a problem, ask all the questions you want that is what we are here for. The 5.0 is a great engine, you should rebuild the bottom end though. It doesn't cost that much if you go with Hypereutectic, forged will cost more. The rest of the rotating assembly can remain the same, and then just a bore, hone, ARP rod bolts, and new bearings, and you would be good to go. Shouldn't cost too much, unless you have someone else do the work, which I don't recommend, it is very easy and simple to do yourself, even if you haven't done it before, just make sure to as a lot of questions and be very very thorough.

well, i got some goodie for my b-day...i got a weiand excelorator, a mallory kit to change my points to electronic, and a holley 4160c. id this card a good one for my setup...eventually i am going to get heads, a cam and some headers...another quick question, do you think it would benefit to get a new flame thrower coil, or something equal to that with my new ignition that i got...thanks again...
nugget68

yea man... i cant wait to get it all on, but my ignition and intake wont be here til probably tue...i am also getting excited about getting it running good because i just entered it to be used in a movie about marshall university plane tragedy of 1970. i live about 30 min from where the will be filming next month and they need cars from 1955-1971, so i am going to try to get it running good and looking like it might be a daily driver in 1968 of a college kid, or just maybe even a car driving down the street in the back ground would be cool...