Edelbrock Question

FourEyed85

Nov 17, 2005
Ligas, Az
Hey I have an 85 GT with an Edelbrock Torker II manifold. I was thinking of getting an RPM Air Gap, do you think i will tell the difference from the "Torker"?

I was also thinking about getting a K&N Xtreme Filter kit. (The filter that replaces the regular lid)
Should this make a difference?

• Sponsors (?)

first we need more info, such as is the rest of the motor stock, what are your plans for the car? what size carb do you run now, where do you want your RPM band to be? The air gap is a dual plane jobbie, im not sure if the torquer is the same or not, but once again, it depends on what you want. I have high compression, and built the motor for good mid rpm's, so i got the air gap because it had a better rpm band for what i wanted. give me a little more info, and ill try to help you out the best i can.

FourEyed85 said:
Hey I have an 85 GT with an Edelbrock Torker II manifold. I was thinking of getting an RPM Air Gap, do you think i will tell the difference from the "Torker"?

I was also thinking about getting a K&N Xtreme Filter kit. (The filter that replaces the regular lid)
Should this make a difference?

While it's true that the Torker will have less low and
maybe mid-range torque and throttle response than
a dual plane, your stock cyl heads won't make use
of any good intake's potential.

The RPM Air Gap is the best dual plane, period, but
won't do you much good without better heads.

If you do ANY cool/cold weather driving, consider
a regular Perf RPM instead - same intake just
without the Air Gap. You'd hardly notice the diff,
and you'd be a whole lot better off in cooler/cold
weather for cold start and driveability esp. until
the engine is thoroughly warmed.

For economical head upgrades, consider at minimum
GT40's, or GT40Ps, or look for a good used pair of
aftermarket (I found a good lo miles pair of Ebrock
Perf's for $600). Also look at that recent link about
Tri-State cyl heads in here.

A good way to upgrade your cam without buying
a cam is to install higher lift rockers. I found a used set
of 1.72's quite reasonable. Then virtually any type
of header is an improvement over stock esp. with
upgraded intake system, and THEN you could make
good use of a good intake.

Otherwise, for stock heads the regular Performer would
be a much better match, and is surprisingly good up
to around 5k rpm.

to answer the question on the K&N airstream. If you can run a flat bottom air cleaner piece and a 4 inch air cleaner and normal metal lid this is the best air flow setup that K&N has. that setup flows better then a K&N and a Airstream lid. They did a test in car craft a while back and thats the conclusion they came to.

To Answer all you questions and comments:

I also have ready to put in the motor a trick flow TFS-5142000 stage 1 cam, comp cam 1.6 RR's stud mount, and roller lifters, I was thinking of going with good torque. I love torque, maybe at about a good 3,000-4,000rpm. I was also thinking about getting a 600-700cfm carb. maybe Edelbock for Holley.

Also I live in Az so I dont really have to worry about cold weather. Only about 2-3 months out of the year.

How much are you selling your Air Gap for? and how would I go about buying it?