EFI computer mounting location

68rustang

Jan 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
For those of you that have converted to EFI, where did you wount the computer? Any pictures? I have a bracket I made up but before I drill holes to mount it I want to see what else you guys have done.

Thanks,
Eric

• Sponsors (?)

The bracket I made would mount the computer along the firewall in the passenger side footwell behind the glovebox. I think it will clear the heater box if I ever get around to putting it back in the car.

Everything I have read talks about mounting it up behind the glove box. However there aren't any really flat surfaces to mount to and I would like to keep the glovebox and kick panel speaker if possible.
If I don't hear any better ideas by tonight I will mountg it an post pics.

You might look at the Ron Morris bracket, that's what I used as an inspiration for the one I made. I mounts up high under the middle of the dash using 2 bolts through the firewall and one of the winshield wiper mount bolts...

68Restoman

I looked for that last night when I was looking for ideas before I made my bracket. I had remembered seeing it but couldn't find it yesterday. Do you have the link or did anybody save a pic?

www.ronmorrisperformance.com

His newer online store SUCKS! The old setup was easier to find things on. If you use the "search" function you can find many more parts than he has categorized. However no combination of search variables I tried produced the bracket I remember seeing.

:bang:

Below is a picture. I made mine similar from sheetmetal...

06768lg.jpg

68Restoman

Yes, the ECU hangs horizontally tight up against the bottom of the cowl. The front part is screwed or bolted to the firewall right below the flange. On mine I have the connector block pointing to the passenger side, not as shown...

68Restoman

Mine is behind the kick panel on the passenger side...just like in the Fox cars. I realize that there is no room so I made a thick sheetmetal box that is recessed into body behind the stock kick panel. You cannot even tell it is there when the plastic kick panel is installed.

Ronstang said:
Mine is behind the kick panel on the passenger side...just like in the Fox cars. I realize that there is no room so I made a thick sheetmetal box that is recessed into body behind the stock kick panel. You cannot even tell it is there when the plastic kick panel is installed.

That is a good idea. If this bracket doesn't work out the way I think It will I may go your route.

Saw pictures of an install like this

Ronstang said:

The guy made a sheet metal 3 sided box. He mounted something else in there as well, but I can't remember what that was. Maybe the inertia switch. Anyway, he removed the fender, cut the original panel, and welded in the box. It was beautifully done. Looked like it came from the factory that way.

Looked so nice, it was almost a shame to put the fender and kick panel back on. I am going to "borrow" his idea when I do mine.

Scott

I've been trying to think of a way to put the EEC in the engine compartment inside of a water tight box to keep from having to cut a hole, but if the EEC and Vintage Air system will play well within the same area, then it's a moot point... :D :nice: Sweet...