EFI swap questions on dip stick and steering

Swade214

Mar 18, 2003
Upstate NY
I have a 88 347 going into my 69 and would like to know if I can use the 88 power steering pump with the original rack? I also know that the dip stick has to be moved to the timing cover. This seems to interfere with the newer style alt bracket. Any one dealt with these problems. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Installed a 92 5.0 in my 70 convert. Used the 92 power steering pump with the original steering. Had to make a custom high pressure hose. Installed a front sump oil pan with the correct pickup. Drilled the timing cover to relocate the dip stick. The dip stick and the tube will be too long and will need to be shortened and remarked. Used a spring tubing bender to bend the dip stick tube to clear the brackets. Works great.

Dan

so the fox body rack is outta the Q...

which r/p was in yours? i have a manual rack in my 65 that it came with, should i be looking for an older pwr rack to work with my 89 ps pump...

thanks

I used a late model timing cover for the dipstick - there is a sharp bend to the tube but it works fine.

I used the late model p/s pump with a brass NPT fitting that converted the old line to work with the new style pump.

I used the dip stick and tube from the 1970 302. Measured the diameter of the tube and drilled the hole slightly smaller, 11/32"?. Coated the tube with RTV and pressed it into the hole in the timing cover. The power steering pump is from the 92 and the rest of the power steering is from the 70.

Dan

sorry to drag this on...

in my efforts to find a pwr rack ive found only big dollar units...are there any cheap aftermarket ones? or should i just be looking for on in a JY which is a needle in a haystack id guess

looking for a cheap substitute...anyone have one laying around?