EFI swap.

6Stang7

Jun 1, 2003
Livermore, CA
I have seen a couple classics with a EFI set up on them, and it looks pretty cool. Don't get me wrong here, I love how the carb and a round chrome air cleaner look on a V8, it's just like it was ment to be, but hot damn, I would LOVE to have EFI. Well, a buddy of mine is parting out his 87 GT. I already got the T-5 off him, and might be getting his e-brake set up too. I was talking to him one day and he told me an idea of his. He had bought a chrome upper and lower intake for this GT, but has no use for it now because he is parting the car out. He told me that he would hate to see it not go onto a stang, so he wants to GIVE ME the upper and lower intake, plus everything else off his car, and do the EFI swap. :eek: :nice: :banana: I wouldn't use his wiring harness however because his is speed denceity, and I would convert it over to mass air, but for the most part, I could do the EFI swap for farily cheap here. Does anyone have any writes or info on this swap? I would miss having a carbed car (ya I know, it sounds weird, but it's the truth) but having EFI is just too good to pass up.

-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

Plenty of places have the EFI write up, just do a search in google. Are you planning on swapping the 5.0 motor out of his car into yours? Or starting from the ground up and Fuel injectiong your 302? I ordered a FMS main harness and it came with nice instructions on how to wire and hook up the fuel injection system. Theres a copy on the web somewhere but i dont remmeber the site.

I can make you a deal here.

I'm in serious need of help with building my stang right.

I am kinda behind schedule to have it ready for april in the paint shop.

I will go over and help you do this swap and pull out all that from that car. Basicly everything you need done.

If you can make it over here and help me with my build up and learn at the same time how to swap a modular motor into a classic , I'll do the same to help you over there.

Let me know what you think. Sorry about the write ups. Can't remember any all of it is my head and the wiring diagrams I have.

I know mustangs plus has some try a search online.

i would sooo jump on this! i'm not a chrome person, but you can't get a better deal than FREE.

windsor-fox could probably give you some good info. notice the wiring harness link on the main page. wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know what you have access to in the way of parts/labor and they could tell you what you're missing or forgetting, etc.

good luck! i'd love to be doing the same thing but that whole $$ thing keeps getting in the way of progress.

Fostang said:
I can make you a deal here.

I'm in serious need of help with building my stang right.

I am kinda behind schedule to have it ready for april in the paint shop.

I will go over and help you do this swap and pull out all that from that car. Basicly everything you need done.

If you can make it over here and help me with my build up and learn at the same time how to swap a modular motor into a classic , I'll do the same to help you over there.

Let me know what you think. Sorry about the write ups. Can't remember any all of it is my head and the wiring diagrams I have.

I know mustangs plus has some try a search online.

I pulled his motor out and tore it down about 5 months ago when the plan was me showing him how to rebuild a motor, but he ended up not wanting to finish the job. I wouldn't be doing the conversion for at least a couple months; right now I am just playing with the idea. However, I would be more then happy to help you with your car. I'm pretty short on time, as school is starting up for me again here, but just let me know what times you'll be free and I'll try to get some time freed up.

-Shaun

burnout289 said:
i would sooo jump on this! i'm not a chrome person, but you can't get a better deal than FREE.

windsor-fox could probably give you some good info. notice the wiring harness link on the main page. wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know what you have access to in the way of parts/labor and they could tell you what you're missing or forgetting, etc.

good luck! i'd love to be doing the same thing but that whole $$ thing keeps getting in the way of progress.

Same here bro. That's one thing I wanna find out, what it would cost to do this. I would imagen spending a couple hundred here....even with the free parts.

-Shaun

burnout289 said:

I wouldnt get the Windsor-fox main harness, not for that price. The FMS harness from Jegs is $400 cheaper. The Engine harness, or injector harness as WF calls it is a good price however. Well come to think of it maybe not. My Engine harness from FMS came with the EGR valve and some other sensors.

Sounds cool Shaun. I usually am only getting a chance to work on it friday's through mondays, but I understand about being pressed for time. I'm taking 2 classes that usually take a semester in one month.

BTW I talked to Miles my bud and he sold the trac lok and the only other option is a 400 dollar auburn or eaton. Or you can spool it with those 4.11's woo hoo it only cost 40 bucks for the part.

I though about getting an Auburn, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a posi unit. If I can't find a LSD unit, then I'll probably just get a detroit locker for $240. Did he say how much he would charge to build my 3rd member with my gears, LSD (whatever type I get) and the install kit I have? I'll going to see my buddy tomorrow that what going to help me rebuild the 3rd member and ask how he is time wise, cause I really want to learn to rebuild my diff....I'm already bummed about not rebuilding the tranny, but on the other hand, I want to get my diff done as fast as possiable and most importantly, correctly. What is spooling it excaitly? Is it like a detroit locker?

-Shaun

Yeah to quote you I need to know exactly what he needs or you can give him a call monday 209-467-4301 and he can tell you.

A spool keeps both tires spinning at all time. Full posi.

I'm telling you get the 9 inch I have it has everything u want 7 and it's yours ready to go with disc brakes.

I would love to get the 9", but there is no way I can afford it with all the stuff I have left to do on my car. I'll try to remember to give him a call on Monday. BTW, what do you have left to do on your build up? I got a friend (Jerrall on StangNet) who offerd to help out as well.

-Shaun

I have plenty to do still. mostly prep work on the bottom and inside then coating with some rhyno liner. bolting the front suspension on, wiring, brake lines, fuel lines, body and prep exterior one of my buddies is going to be taking care of most of that but would still need help. Assembly of the interior and wiring the stereo stuff, dropping in the mod motor then whatever gets decided for a differential. I have about 70 % of the stuff on hand. Then comes the trouble shooting and getting the bugs out.

So to sum it up it's basicly prepping and coating and some wrenching.

Sounds good. Just let us know a couple days in advance and we'll try to be there. I am really busy from Friday to Monday as I work all day on the weekends plus school, but I should be able to get some spare time to help you out.

-Shaun