EGR Removal money issues help?

4cMadness

Aug 21, 2006
I'm having problems with my engine having a lumpy idle, and I'm suspecting the egr (have pulled a few codes forgot what they were but checked the manual and it said something about the egr). I pulled off the tube connecting from the exhaust manifold to the egr on the back of the throttle body, and it's FULL of cruddy black stuff maybe carbon? In any case I don't have the money to buy a new egr if that is the problem, so would it be worth it to just remove the egr pipe from the manifold, plug it up and then plug the egr valve on the throttle body and the vaccuum lines going to it? I'm driving an 88 lx 2.3L by the way. Thanks for help !!!

• Sponsors (?)

I have an '88 LX 2.3 with 174k on it. When I put a ranger header on it there was no bung for the O2sensor and the EGR tube did not line up. I removed the O2 sensor and blocked off the EGR when it enters the manifold, I also blocked it off at the header. The car runs fine. It is not my daily driver but I do drive it regularly and have had no drivability problems.

carb and choke cleaner from autozone, and a wire coathanger with a paper towel on the end of it does the trick...

pull the egr off, and pull the tube off too, and just clean the crap outta it, and it will be fine, no nead for pluggin crap up or replacing stuff

I appreciate all the responses guys. I ended up trying to see the diaphram move when I pulled the vacuum but I didn't see anything move. I pulled the whole thing apart cleaned the piss out of it and then reassembled it, all to no avail. I assume it was either broken to begin with or I was too stupid to figure out how to clean it. So I did the only (cheap) thing I could think of to do. Hacked the tube from the manifold to the intake in half, took off the nut that holds the tube to the manifold and superglued a quarter (perfect fit by the way) into the bottom of it, essentially turning it into a flare cap, and screwed it back onto the manifold. Then hacked off the egr thingy from the bracket where it mounts to the throttle body and reinstalled it upside down with gasket sealer around the hole where the egr used to enter. I also used a stick and some duct tape to plug up the litte vacuum line that went to the back of the egr valve. Started the car up and ... no more lumpy idle or engine codes and the cel hasn't come on yet. Test drive was nice and actually felt a slight bit peppier. But now it's idling at ~1500rpm whereas it used to idle at about ~1000rpm. Should I readjust the tps again? (I did it once before, when I first got the car.)