EGR tube removal - how and why?

teefaw

Sep 19, 2006
This may save you some time if you ever decide to replace you NPI intake manifold with a PI unit - or in my case, if you ever have to replace the intake because the stupid plastic coolant crossover cracked:( .

On Saturday I (successfully :) ) fitted a new PI intake manifold to my 98 GT. However, it took me nearly 3 hours to remove and replace the coolant tube from the 'valley' because; first I wasted so much time trying, unsuccessfully, to disconnect the EGR tube from the left (or right, depending upon which useless manual you read) exhaust manifold; and second, unbolting the coolant tube bracket from the back of the block with the EGR tube in situ is a real b**ch!:bang:

So, does anyone know how to remove the EGR tube?:shrug:

No - then just forget it! Don't put the car on jackstands and don't even try take it off:nono: . Accept that it will take you about half an hour to extract a 13mm and (possibly) a 10mm bolt from the back of the block in order to get rid of the old coolant tube and another 10 to 15 minutes to bolt the new tube in place. You're still better of by nearly 2 hours:nice: .

Oh, you'll also need a trusty assistant, like my son :rolleyes: , to 'ease' the EGR out of the way as you carefully lower your new PI intake into place without disturbing the gaskets and the strategically-placed beads of RTF.

An NPI replacement would have been so much easier - but not nearly as satisfying:D .

• Sponsors (?)

:scratch: I'm not sure if you are asking a question, or just stating your difficulty.
Anyway, the bolt on the back goes much easier with a 13mm racheting end wrench. I bought one specifically for that bolt, and has come in handy many times since.

As for the EGR, there is no huge improvement from removing the egr. You'll get less carbon builtup in the intake, and you'll have less heat transfer to the plenum. The down side is less fuel economy, and higher intake temps during normal driving. To remove it you need a block off plate, and it need to be turned off in the EEC.

Do not try to unscrew the EGR tube, it is literaly welded on. Just remove the two bolts holding the whole assembly from the side of the plenum. When you install the manifold just move the tube assembly around. You can even re-use the old gasket just use a high-temp sealant. Like I said in another thread, I've replaced 2 NPI intakes this way with no problems. Good luck.

Mel96GT said:
Do not try to unscrew the EGR tube, it is literaly welded on. Just remove the two bolts holding the whole assembly from the side of the plenum. When you install the manifold just move the tube assembly around. You can even re-use the old gasket just use a high-temp sealant. Like I said in another thread, I've replaced 2 NPI intakes this way with no problems. Good luck.

Mine wasn't welded?:shrug:

jstreet0204 said:
:scratch: I'm not sure if you are asking a question, or just stating your difficulty.
Anyway, the bolt on the back goes much easier with a 13mm racheting end wrench. I bought one specifically for that bolt, and has come in handy many times since.

As for the EGR, there is no huge improvement from removing the egr. You'll get less carbon builtup in the intake, and you'll have less heat transfer to the plenum. The down side is less fuel economy, and higher intake temps during normal driving. To remove it you need a block off plate, and it need to be turned off in the EEC.
Thanks - it was a difficulty rather than a question but I do need to expand my tool set and a ratcheting wrench would have done the trick. However, as I said, there was another 10mm bolt holding the bracket in place too - about 2 inches lower down. The literature I read said not all brackets have 2 bolts - but mine did!