electric fan wiring

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
Got my aluminum radiator and electric fan. Those that have done the electric fan swap, how did you wire it? What kind of fan switch did you use, what year car and make. I'm pretty good at electrical stuff, so i will be wiring it to a relay. Is the switch a one wire switch that gives off a ground signal, or is it a 2 wire that closes the loop at the ideal temp?

• Sponsors (?)

jae902 said:
Got my aluminum radiator and electric fan. Those that have done the electric fan swap, how did you wire it? What kind of fan switch did you use, what year car and make. I'm pretty good at electrical stuff, so i will be wiring it to a relay. Is the switch a one wire switch that gives off a ground signal, or is it a 2 wire that closes the loop at the ideal temp?

65 mustang with an efan.
Using a spal relay and switch set up.

The relay has 6 wires IIRC.
2 connect to the fan.
One goes to power
One goes to key on power
One goes to ground
and one goes to the t-stat switch.

When the t-stat switch hits the right temp it grounds and the fan turns on.
You can also hook up the power lead and the switch power lead to the same source if you would like the e-fan to continue running after the car has shut off till temps drop below the t-stat switch temp range.

Electric fan

When I did mine in the DCVER, I researched the parts books for the temperature at which various switches activated, and made a list of them. I then took an intake manifold thermostat housing, and tapped the hole in top to match the switch's threads and mounted it there. I used that circuit to activate a relay for the actual fan power circuit. This way, no leaking inserts into the upper radiator hose. worked great. I powered the circuit off the battery, so the fan would run after shut-off, so there was some cooling during the heat soaking after spirited driving.

dont forget to wire in a manual override switch so you can turn the fan on if the temp sensor fails. useing a second relay would also be a good idea with the override switch.