Electric Fan

fox_body

Nov 14, 2005
Watertown, Wis
I have a 93 Fox with a bunch of mods and I've noticed with the stock clutch fan and a 180 degree thermostat the car runs at 210/215 degrees. I replaced it with a 15in. 2800 CFM proform electric fan with adjustable thermostat. Would it be better to use the adjustable thermostat or wire it so that it comes on with the ignition and goes off with the ignition? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The Proform is a piece of Sh@$. It does not cover enough of the radiator or come on when it is supposed to. The Mark VIII is much better. I had a Proform electric that I bough new. Tried multiple combinations. Now I have a Summit 2 row alum direct fit rad with the Mark VIII and it is stuck at 180 no matter what.

Ditto to the above poster.

Anyways, if you wire it up to run with the ignition, you're going to be putting a lot of unnecessary stress on the charging system. As said above, I would think perhaps the fan isn't covering enough of the rad to properly cool it, however if you were having these cooling problems prior to doing the electric fan swap, chances are you have something else going on. Honestly, a cooling system in proper operating condition should stay somewhat (within 15 deg or so) close to the t-stat temp even with that Proform fan.

Secondly, are you judging your temp by the stock gauge? If so, don't bother, it's pretty inaccurate.

How is your temperature when you're at speed or on the highway? If it goes back down, I would definately suspect lack of airflow across the radiator as a possibility. If it stays the same, I would think perhaps you've got a circulation problem, are in need of a flush, improper coolant mixture, etc.

Agreed. FWIW, if using any sort of thermostat on an elec fan, I would wire in a manual switch for times when the fan doesnt kick on, or you know you're gonna be sitting for a bit (like at a train crossing) - you can kick it on just after you reach the t-stat threshold and give the fan a headstart with the cooling.

Good luck.

I have mine wired with a switch and as soon as the car turns on i turn on that switch ......
It doesn't even get to the normal and thats with the texas heat beating down on it and ac running also