Electric Water Pump

• Sponsors (?)

I cant say if I reccomend it because of the fact that it MAY just decide to quit on you lol and you have to constantly worry about overheating and are always checking the temp gauge.
The power gain is definatly noticable I can say that, and its easy as heck to instal....mine has been on for about a year and 0 problems so far.
So the check engine light will come on if it starts overheating?

propellerhead said:
Con: If the wire breaks, your water pump shuts off. Better hope your Check Engine light is working and catches the over temp condition.

An electrical wire connection is more likely to fail than a fully mechanical water pump.

Pro: If the belt breaks, your water pumps continues to run.

A belt is more likely to fail than an electrically driven water pump.

:D

hotmustang331 said:
I cant say if I reccomend it because of the fact that it MAY just decide to quit on you lol and you have to constantly worry about overheating and are always checking the temp gauge.
The power gain is definatly noticable I can say that, and its easy as heck to instal....mine has been on for about a year and 0 problems so far.
So the check engine light will come on if it starts overheating?

When you say its easy to install are you talking about the Mezeire one?

And the LED sounds like a great idea.

propellerhead said:
Con: If the wire breaks, your water pump shuts off. Better hope your Check Engine light is working and catches the over temp condition.

An electrical wire connection is more likely to fail than a fully mechanical water pump.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so what about the PCM, fuel pump, lights, wipers, fly by wire thrittle (05 models), MAF, rad fan.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :owned: :rlaugh:

Stangdriver1119 said:
Does anyone have an electric water pump in their mustang? I'm curious to pros and cons or any info you know about them. I don't see many people having them.
providing it's a reputable brand and correctly installed an electric water pump has as much chance of failing as a mechanical one, or any other component on the car.

Pros:

-Better low speed cooling.
-More power as the electricity required to power it, uses less HP than a mechanical one.

Cons:

-Cost
-Might impact on other electrical items, like a/c or big amp/stereo. May need upgraded alternator, which will require slightly more hp to run it. So overall net gain may be less
-Cooling efficency. Most electric water pumps, pump at a steady rate, I think it's often equiverlent to 4500rpm. So provided you're engine is spinning at 4500rpm or less the pump will be cooling the system fine. However if you spend prolonged periods above 4500rpm then the car will over heat with an electric pump.

There where a couple of people (Corvettes) running in the Silverstate run. Almost identical cars except for the pump. The one with the electric pump could only run at 145-150mph before it started to overheat. The other guy was fine at 180mph.

So check what rpm speed the pump operates at as an equiverlent to a mechanical one.

Road or drag racing an electric water pump :nice:
high speed use :notnice:

:shrug: i have been to 148 with my electric WP on the car and it didnt overheat at all...I think it was still actually down from the fully hot mark, just about where it was when I hit it.

Yea stangdriver, I have the Mezeire one and all that is required is to loosen the front WP pully bolts...remove the belt, then pulley...then remove the 4 bolts that hold the WP in place...remove them and pull the WP out (since it uses an O ring seal, its SO freegin easy). Slide the electric one in, tighten up the 4 bolts and make sure the EWP is sealed all the way around....and then reinstal the belt. VERY simple, and yes the EWP has a small free wheeling pully already installed. (honestly dont even know how to remove it, but its not required) Then you just have to splice into a power source thats ONLY on when the key is ONLY in the ON position. Then your all set!

hotmustang331 said:
:shrug: i have been to 148 with my electric WP on the car and it didnt overheat at all...I think it was still actually down from the fully hot mark, just about where it was when I hit it.
but for how long?

Short blast upto high speed will not be a problem. As the engine will not have chance to overheat.

But it all depends on what you want to do with the car and the setup. A auto with 4.10's would not be a good combo with an electric water pump if they wanted to do the Silverstate run or if you do a lot of circuit work.

There's a really good writeup debate on Ls1tech.com about it, where several other circuit/auto X guys where having lots of bother with them.

I say normal road use and 1/4 mile is no problem.

propellerhead said:

Nah. Moving parts fail more often than non-moving parts. Assume both were built correctly. Electrical connections can last for decades, mechanical water pumps do not. However, MAYBE the motor for the electrical pump can fail. I'd like to see more info. Supposed to free up 10-15rwhp!

mrvax said:
Nah. Moving parts fail more often than non-moving parts. Assume both were built correctly. Electrical connections can last for decades, mechanical water pumps do not. However, MAYBE the motor for the electrical pump can fail. I'd like to see more info. Supposed to free up 10-15rwhp!
I haven't looked for ages, but I think the manufacturers website quotes expected life of the pump in hours.

some one worked it out and it was something like equiverlent to an average person driving 120,000-200,000 miles over a suitable time period.

As long as they are installed correctly I don't see a problem with getting one.

GT-03 said:
Pro: If the belt breaks, your water pumps continues to run.

A belt is more likely to fail than an electrically driven water pump.

:D
If the serpentine belt breaks, everything else quits. You'll know about it and you'll stop. If only the water pump fails, you won't know till it's too late.

Modular Depot has a buttload of threads on the electric water pump. There are some strong arguments against it, for a daily driver. If your car only goes to the track on a trailer, that's cool. If the e-pump dies, you quit racing, put it back on the trailer, and go home. But for a daily driver, it is not recommended. Even if you put a warning light for a fault. If your e-pump dies in the middle of nowhere, and your fault light blinks at you, you're still gonna have to call a tow truck. You can argue all day that these electric water pumps are more reliable. That's cool too. For me, I don't think the few ponies is worth the risks involved.

300bhp/ton said:
but for how long?

Short blast upto high speed will not be a problem. As the engine will not have chance to overheat.

You think im going to be barreling down the highway @ 148 for 35miles on my way to work? :rlaugh: I held it long enough to get there...which was also long enough to waste the GT I was racing:D . So your saying that the vette guy could only sustain 145MPH or thats all he could get to before it overheated?