Electrical gremlins, help

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
I got my 99 all converted to the 94 5.0 drivetrain and it runs good. Most of my electronics work fine.

When I go to turn the key to the "on" position, my wipers jump a little but they don't do anything. They also jump again when I turn the ignition off.

Also, the wipers do not work at all with the switch.

When I got the car together and running, the wipers and washer motor were running constantly. I figured it was because I retained the multi function switch and harness from the 99. So I dropped the column and swapped the little harness and multi-switch and now I'm having the above symptoms.

Another thing is the top motor. When I pull the E brake up and operate the top switch, I can hear the relays clicking but the pump does nothing. I was told in passing one time that the top pumps in 99-04 cars are different from 94-98's. Any truth in that? Will I have to purchase a 94 style top pump?

Other than these two hickups everything seems to be working fine. Any brainstorming is greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd check the load side of the top's relays - the clicking is the control side (coil).
A relay can click without anything connected to the common or N.O. terminals.

Well, problem one led to problem two lol. When the wiper motor was running nonstop we just pulled the battery cable while the wipers were running. So when I went ahead and installed the wipers on the car, I installed them in their "normal" rested state. But when I turned the key after replacing the multi switch, the car was trying to reset the wipers, but the wipers were down as far as they could go.

So I simply pulled them off, let the motor reset and reinstalled. Works like a charm.

Now I just have to figure out this top motor issue.

If anyone has schematics of the top electronics from a 94 car and a 99 car I'd love to have em.