Electrical Nightmare

INDSKYS

May 24, 2003
CALIFORNIA
hi all. need help,my signal lights have gone awry. i got my car back from paint put in a jme bezel tested everything signals lights all pertinent stuff. anyway it all worked then put all my lights back in and the signals dont work anymore. blows the 14 sfe fuse the hazards work fine . i have tracked wires from trunk all way up to front driver kickpanel and wirng is all fine to there nothing eposed pinched etc . what are the chances the signal lever in steering column is bad ? i took off blinker thingy and it still popped fuse so im assuming that that part is ok?any suggestions on how to troubleshoot further? it is a 68 coupe.

• Sponsors (?)

In Response Too Grounds-if It Blows Fuse It Wouldnt Be A Ground Right? Car Has New Rear Quartes One Front Quarter And A Door Skin So Yes Taken Apart Quite A Bit In Response To Pinches But I Have Found None From Trunk To Front Kick Panel So Far.

It's looking more and more like the indicator switch up behind the 'wheel. On the '66 there's a connector just above the pedals where the wires come out of the column - if you've got something similar on yours, pull it apart and check again - if the fuse doesn't blow that's your problem, if it does blow...

Try to isolate the Front and Back. Disconnect the plug from the rear harness and/or the lighting plug from the firewall. If you can figure which half of the car to look at, it would sure be easier. You say you tested your JME panel, then hooked up the exterior lights? And that’s when it started? Get lots of fuses and start troubleshooting.

Lets See I Finally Tracked Harness All The Way Up To The Front Under Dash Connector For The Rear Portion Of Car And The Backup Lights Which Are Also On Same System Not A Sorted Wire In The Whole Lot. Now I Am Tracking All The Front End System And Cant Find Any Problems There Either . This Really Sucks I Think I Need More Aspirin Then Fuses Lol. What Are The Chances Of Something Being Wrong In The Signal Swith In Steering Column?because Im About Out Of Wires And Have Found Nada Yet

I had to replace the turn signal switch in my to get it inspected last year. The hazzard lights worked, but only one from turn signal and the opposite rear turn signal lights worked. It was very strange, I tried replacing just the turnsignal cam but that didn't fix the problem, so I did the whole switch and it was gret after that.

jes72mustang said:
I had to replace the turn signal switch in my to get it inspected last year. The hazzard lights worked, but only one from turn signal and the opposite rear turn signal lights worked. It was very strange, I tried replacing just the turnsignal cam but that didn't fix the problem, so I did the whole switch and it was gret after that.

YOINKS! You never mentioned that before...Although it could still be at fault, if it's as new as that it probably isnt. I think you need to find an Auto electrician to check it out. Check back when you find out what the problem was to put us out of our misery.

well thats a good question what was the problem i never found any but created some when i started cutting out un-used plugs. after i was done everything worked it just worked at the wrong time hehehe. i had the reverse lights hooked to the rear tail lights and i had cut the front turn signal lights off at the hood indicator junction and lost those also .as far as what was causing the fuse blowing ? all i ever found was that the harness was fully soaked in water and sanding sludge from getting it painted im assuming the water was shorting out a wire i never noticed was bare?.