End of Cobra Mustangs

I was at the Detroit Auto Show today for the unveiling of the Ford Cobra. The Carol Shelby two seat, 600 horsepower one.

News from the other executives is that the Cobra name will be exclusive to the Carol Shelby car and the Mustang will be the SVT Mustang. Cobra will be dropped from the badging and title.

The guys there said, when we introduced the SN95 we had a Cobra model, why wouldn't we have one for 2005? The name is not going to be associated with Mustang anymore. End of story.

We have a year to find out what really is going to happen to the Cobra name.

Sleep well Cobra guys! Remember no one thought the GTO would be a rebadged Pontiac either. So weirder things have happened. Cobra has always been the top dog. Well 600 hp V10 naturally aspirated is just about as top as you need to kick the Mustang off the top step. Let alone with a turbo or supercharging. Hello 800 RWHP!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen pics of the new Shelby Cobra and it looks good. If it becomes final and the Cobra name is taken away from SVT, there is always a chance it can come back. Besides, it gives Ford and SVT a chance to produce better/ newer variations of the Mustang...Boss, Mach 1, GTR, ect. There is a thread somewhere here talking about Ford producing a new car that can compete with the Corvette that is not a Stang, may be the new Shelby Cobra is it? I guess we all just have to wait and see.

Guts just did a flip-flop. If this is real I'm going to eat a meircat and it just won't be the same at the local when I hassle all the gang. The real thrill in my car (after a 3-gear max pull) is the way most folks think its just a very clean stang until they see the little snakies, and the shocked look as I motor off in -25C.

Thats funny, the "Ford Insider" I have ran into said that nothing is set in stone yet. That’s why I'm not going to jump to conclusions as to what’s going to happen. Here is what I will say.

According to my source, up until now Colletti has had it easy, he would come up with an SVT idea, and some of the exec's would write off on it and it would go through without a hitch. The process has now changed to where the SVT vehicles have to go through a "committee" just like any other vehicle. The team has to put together a presentation and have it approved. The SVT L is about to go to committee, but the general concensis is that it will be an easy go. The Cobra however hasn't even had its presentation put together... so... they have a ways to go. That is what my source said.

As far as Shelby, the word is, it will be a specialty car. I don't see why they can't have a Ford Shelby Cobra and a Mustang Cobra like they have a Ford GT and a Mustang GT. After all, the AC cobra is not a mustang.

Like I said, I take "sources" with a grain of salt. Someone has to have the common sense to know what gets the buzz on these car's is the specialty editions that the average Joe can afford.

fiveofanatic said:
She was talking to some guy at an auto show.

The dealership says as soon as Ford has one built, they'll let me know. I can't wait!

I hope it wasnt the same guy at pep boys that told me that with a k&n filter i would gain 40+ hp..... and if i ran some good gas i would see gains over 50 hp jeez who would have that hp was so cheap.... :lol:

but hey put me down for one to has soon as bill ford calls ya or john colleti just let um know to make 2