engine compartment measurements

Jan 17, 2004
Alright all. This weekend I looked at a few 64-66 mustangs and they all had one thing in common. more engine compartment then my 64 1/2. Yes I have verified it is a real 64 with all the messed up dimensional difference on the bottom. Last summer I learned alot about a carliner and how to use a laser measuring system.

However, one thing is still puzzling me. Every one had about 2 in more room from water pump to radiator. I even saw a 65 with a fluidyne radiator like mine with a Taurus fan with no clearance issues. Oh and no core support modifications.

I took some measurements I would be interested in seeing what other are measuring up.

From the outside of core support to front edge of cowl (flange that export brace mounts to) is 38 5/16 on both sides. From the same place to the mounting flange of the core support radiator side is 37 1/2.

I also noticed most monte carlo bars lined up with front edge of valve covers. Mine lines up with oil filler tube (5.0L engine).

I also noticed on both sides there are bolt holes in front of the cowl that enter the inner fenders. No where in any shop manual or body guide shows there. What are they?

Thanks all

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like Ford pushed the radiator support forward a bit as a minor tweak to the 65s...
They have done that sort of thing in the past.
74 Stangs for example, they had the rad support closer to the firewall than 75s and up. The whole 'no V8 option' didn't go over well in 74, so they had to move the rad support to get a V8 back in on the 75 model.

When I read your post title I was sure you were refering to the width of the engine bay, not length.
Shock tower cars are notorious for the towers tweaking inward and narrowing the engine bay. If they spend any time with the tower braces off, it is a sure bet.

Nope fixed that last summer. and squared the rails front to rear. Made a big difference in driving and handling. I am trying to clean everything up on the top now. Monte Carlo bar went in with just a little leaning on the driver's side and dropped right in.

Are you measuring from the lip on the cowl or are you measuring from the firewall?

There is a lot more difference than people know or realize - in both the cowl seam is different and the drain area is different.

The distance from the firewall to the alignment holes in the core support should be the same.

Somewhere over the last 20 years I have become the resident expert on fender fitment around the cowl. I'll shoot pictures when I get another digital camera and explain what I'm talking about - not all cars can take any fender.

I'm not sure what those random assembly bolts are for. I want to say it's to fit up a water shield, but I honestly don't know.