engine in!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Looks great! I'll be swapping in a '91 HO (converted to a carb setup) in my '70 vert. The pictures are helpful.

I have a question regarding the AC compressor. Is it safe to just plug the ports and leave it on/running (not do damage to compressor)? I'll be installing the compressor setup on mine, but am unsure to when I'll get around to installing the rest of the AC system. So, if I can just plug it and it'll be good until I get to that point, then that's what I just may do.

Also, is it possible to just eliminate the smog system and get a smaller belt? Or, do I need to run a dummy pulley to keep the belt routing where it it is.

Thanks and keep us posted.

You know I have a another question... I was just looking over the photos again and I noticed you switched alternators when you'd gotten it running. Is there any particular reason for that?

the reason for a different alternator was that this was a 1-wire deal so it was a lot easier of an install for wiring

Looks great! I'll be swapping in a '91 HO (converted to a carb setup) in my '70 vert. The pictures are helpful.

I have a question regarding the AC compressor. Is it safe to just plug the ports and leave it on/running (not do damage to compressor)? I'll be installing the compressor setup on mine, but am unsure to when I'll get around to installing the rest of the AC system. So, if I can just plug it and it'll be good until I get to that point, then that's what I just may do.

Also, is it possible to just eliminate the smog system and get a smaller belt? Or, do I need to run a dummy pulley to keep the belt routing where it it is.

Thanks and keep us posted.

right now the switch hasnt been wired in so its not even pumping, its just a pulley for now
as for some advice, if you get the classic auto air pump youre going to need to cut the front bracket up for it to fit properly (send a PM for more details)

finally you can run a dummy pulley or get a shorter belt, the pulley was cheap and bolted how the old one had before

You can run a smaller belt and change your belt routing so long as each device still rotates in the same direction.

70stang, was that water outlet painted or is it aluminum?

its just aluminum

if you get the classic auto air pump youre going to need to cut the front bracket up for it to fit properly (send a PM for more details)

For those who have not made the connection, I am my70stangs dad. We have been wrenching on his project together, and when his car is done he will help me finish up my '69 Vette ;-)

I don't think running the compressor is an issue provided it is not switched on electrically. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.

To further clarify, we used a classic auto air kit (w/ Sanden style compressor) in conjunction with a Randall's Rack power steering pump. The two kits were not totally compatible, but nothing a little plasma cutter action couldn't fix on the stock bracket.

A few other things we did/learned along the way:

Between the Master power brake kit, Modern Driveline cable clutch kit, Randalls rack, Classic air kit, etc.. there were several issues of kits not all playing well together. I'm not saying nobody has ever used our combination, but it isn't something you see every day.

We had to get a smaller dual diaphram booster for the brakes in order to clear where the cable clutch cable comes out of the firewall. The 9" single diaphram was too big, so we went with a stock '69 unit (7.25"). We're stuck with the 9" diaphram.

We had to order headers through Ford Power Train Applications to get the right fit around the Randalls rack and cable clutch set-up. The issue was on the drivers side at the collector. We reurned the Patriot Clippers we had purchased back to Summit as they did not fit.

The alternator is a Powermaster 1 wire model from Summit - part # PWM-8-47140

The distributor is an Accell streetbillet 52201 (summit part # ACC-52201) and has a 3 wire hook up.

We eliminated the voltage regulator and ballast resistor.

We also utilized a Holley 12-801-1 fuel pump, mounted back by the fuel tank.

Right now it starts and runs niceley. We still have open headers and plan to take it to run the pipes over the next week or so. We are putting Flowmaster Deltaflow 40s on it. I have timing set at 10 degrees BTD. We have some finishing to do on the brake lines. It will need an alignment too.

Well the brake system is finally dialed in for the most part. Had to manufacture our own lines, and I must say my review of the Master Power brake kit isn't as glowing as the kit I installed in my '55 Chevy a few years back. Biggest issues were getting the right fittings to line up. A few trips to NAPA and some reconfiguration of stock lines and manufacturing new lines overcame the issues. Installing the new brake pedal, etc.. was a royal pain in the a$$. We still have to finalize operation of the brake light switch and mis-placed the emergency brake cable braket/adjuster and will have to work through that.

We're going through everything now just making sure all the nuts and bolts are tight, correct, etc...

Probably looking at the first ride tomorrow or Sunday if we don't run into any further setbacks :nice:

well today was a productive day, we pulled the shocks back out, cut 1 5/8 coils off and the car sits at a lot better stance...the export brace and shock towers are now on and the front carpet/kick panels/door sills are back in