engine missing i believe

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
i have a 95 5 spd. v6 and last week it was missing in lower rpm's. i have tru dual exhaust so i could hear it coming from 1,2 or 3 cylinder. i put 3 new plugs in it and it fixed the problem. now today i was pulling out of my driveway and was in 1st going slowly because i am trying to save gas. it all of a sudden missed or something and almost died. it jerked the whole car. it did it 2 times. so i bought 3 more plugs for the other side. i have not put them in yet but i think they are the culprit. do you think there could be something else causing this besides wires. it gets anywhere from 360 to 268 miles to a tank of gas, and that is with a little bit of dogging and kepping it under 2000 rpms even when shifting.

• Sponsors (?)

i ment keeping, and i put the other plugs in and it has not done it yet. i think there is a little better accelertion now too but very very little, almost to little to tell. it may be fixed now

actually they looked normal. they were platinums but not what the car called for. the insulator is a little burned only on one spot. all the plugs were like that. i don't know but i think it is fixed now

what other tune up things have you done? the poor mileage could be attributed to the air filter/fuel filter, etc. I'd recommend going through the entire thing with new filters.

THe platinum plugs are junk (from what I've seen). I like autolite plugs with good copper electrodes. Platinum is more expensive and I've never noticed a difference in performance

i do all the work on all of my stuff so i checked the air filter and it is still white. i put a fuel filter on it about 650 miles ago. and today i was just getting into 5th gear after leaving the house for the first time today, i felt a shutter sort of thing like it was running out of gas. then it went away. i haven't felt it anymore after that. but i know something is up still i have a 1/4 tank of gas now and only have 209 miles so far. i only dropped it into 4 once yesterday to get through some traffic.

You might want to check you oxygen sensor it is possible that it is bad and it could be causing the car to suddenly stop running. take it to a discount auto parts or one of those stores and i think they can check it for free.

Like I said some of the auto parts stores will do the diagnostics test for free. check around first to avoid from having to pay $50.00 for a simple scan. I went by advanced auto parts and they did the scan of the O2 sensor and it took about 3 minutes.

Try leaving the battery unhooked for 15-30 mins to reset the system. If that doesnt work then the O2 sensor could still be bad. Alot of the times the O2 sensors are warranted for 1 year, you might wanna check that out.

PS: When you replaced the O2 sensor initially did you unhook the battery before installing the new one?

i am not sure because that is the only thing i did not do. i had it done for free at a shop that owed me. ok here goes this long story. i put the new motor in and accidentally broke a bottom intake bolt over #3 cylinder. so it sucked a little air and water. that told the computer to dump more gas in that cylinder.that was when the light came on.it said misfire on #4 and o2 heater circuit malfunction.i put a new plug in it and the misfire went away. but the other one stayed. i got the bolt fixed and put the o2 sensor in. they erased the code and 10 minutes later while driving it came right back and that was 2 weeks ago. now i am getting crappy mileage even worse now. with every tank of gas this thing sometimes gets very good,bad,alright gas mileage. it fluctuates. it did it this morning again too.

well dang it still does it. when it is cold. the code said multiple cylinder misfire so i might switch the coil packs with an extra one i have and see what happens

yeah that is what i thought too. if so then i wonder how to tell which ones. but wouldn't an injector code pop up. i got misfiring codes. the connectors are clean i checked that already but it only take like 3 minutes to switch out coil packs so i am going to try that. the plug wires don't glow blue or grounding out in the dark so i don't thing those are it