engine problems ( long)

tango7

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Hickory n.c
I am installing an engine from a 90 5.0 into a 86 car I have installed all fuel and electronic hardware. While the engine was out here are a list of things that were changed. TFS stage 2 cam the pistons were notched by a machine shop. canfield heads were installed with harden push rods and stud mounted rockers. 24pound injectors holley intake, C and L meter calibrated to 24 injectors, bbk long tube headers. 70 mm thorttle body. Pete Jackson geardrive.

Here is the problem the car will not idle you have to give it gas to get it to run we let the engine get to operating temp still no change. As you rev it up it sounds like it is popping through the intake. I readjusted the rockers. As I went over them I noticed that after I would adjust them with no lash when I would turn the engine over to check the ones I adjusted the rocker arms was loose you could move from side to side. I don't think this is normal but I do not know. I pulled one off and the stud was wearing on the inside of the roller. I think this is my problem I think the rocker is not sitting flush on the stud. Anyone have this problem the rockers are the proform I think. I have set the timing and I don't think that is the problem. But it could be the PETE JACKSON gear drive.

thanks James

• Sponsors (?)

tango7 said:
I readjusted the rockers. As I went over them I noticed that after I would adjust them with no lash when I would turn the engine over to check the ones I adjusted the rocker arms was loose you could move from side to side. I don't think this is normal but I do not know. I pulled one off and the stud was wearing on the inside of the roller. I think this is my problem I think the rocker is not sitting flush on the stud. Anyone have this problem the rockers are the proform I think.

The movement of the rockers from side to side is normal when you turn it over. When you turn it over and it lifts the valve, it'll start to bleed the lifter down a little. When you bring it back to the heal of the cam it'll appear to have some lash. The rocker not sitting flush on the stud could be one of two things.

#1 Wrong pushrod length. See where the roller tip is riding on the valve stem. Perfect geometry has the roller tip just beyond the centerline of the valve stem. (toward the intake manifold) That way at mid-lift the roller tip will be at the centerline of the valve stem. Too long of a pushrod will have the roller tip extended too far inward on the stem (toward the intake manifold). Too short would be the opposite.

#2 Proform rockers. They're about the worst you can get. Get a set of Scorpions. They're around $200.00 and excellent geometry.

Also tell us the method you're using to adjust the rockers.

I adjusted the rockers when the rocker was all the way up and then went to the next one. I timed the engine with a timing light but could the Pete Jackson gear drive cause a problem with timing.

thanks, James

tango7 said:
I adjusted the rockers when the rocker was all the way up and then went to the next one. I timed the engine with a timing light but could the Pete Jackson gear drive cause a problem with timing.

thanks, James

Adjust them this way and see what happens. http://www.totalengineairflow.com/tech/valvelash.php Can't go wrong. Try this first and then look into the gear drive. If you aligned the marks it shouldn't be a problem. Did you check the geometry on the rockers?