Engine project is underway

rj95svt

Jan 11, 2007
Hayden, AL
I pulled the engine out of my cobra a week ago Saturday to replace it with a stock 88 forged piston shortblock that has been reringed so I figured I would start a thread and let you guys know what I'm doing. I'll post a few pictures in the next couple of days of some of the stuff I've done.

The engine I pulled out had some vibration, rattled, had low oil pressure, and smoked pretty bad so thats the reason for the build. It had set up for a long time due to some burnt wiring which was all replaced. The engine not being cranked for two years I believe broke a ring when it was started and a bad balancer destroyed the main bearings.

I pulled the heads off the original cobra engine disassembled them and done some minor port work. I port matched the intake runners to a 1250 felpro gasket, reshaped the valve guid bosses and smoothed all the sharp edges in the bowls on the heads. I'll post pics (If I can figure out how) of the heads after I get them back from the machine shop. I am having some valvesprings I got from thumper installed as well as having a valve job done and new valve seals put on the heads.

I started port matching the lower intake yesterday. The ports on the GT40 lower are tiny compared to the 1250 intake gasket. I painted the stock upper intake satin black and took a sanding block and sanded the paint of the cobra lettering snake and outline to give it a nice shinny contrast to the black paint. I eliminated the EGR with a block off plate from Mr. Gasket for a 351C fuel pump. (It fit perfectly and the chrome looks nice against the black intake). The intake makes the stock TB look awful. I'll have to change that before long. I'll try to take pics of the painted upper and the ported lower this afternoon.

I am also gonna install a set of mac shorty fox body headers (due to the eliminated EGR) and I already installed and degreed a crower 15511 cam in the shortblock and I'm going to tune everything with a tweecer R/T which I've already installed. The rest of my mods are in my sig.

I am taking the car to a car wash on a trailor this afternoon to pressure wash the engine bay and clean the power steering fluid off everything from the power steering pump leaking. It's not a show car right now and I wish do some more detailing while I have the engine out but I have to much going right now to do to much plus I need to get the car back up and running. The car has caught fire under the hood before due to a fuel line cracking and spraying fuel on the distributor. So right now I'm just gonna clean all the black off everything.

• Sponsors (?)

Here is some pics of the car. The one pic the car has cobra R wheels because there was a bad tire on the original wheels at the time. The car has 77,000 miles and has never been a wreak so the body and suspension is solid

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

very nice. good luck. word of advice though, take the time to clean the bay out. even if it sets your end off by a week or two, just make the time. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't later just like every one of us has done.

I'm pissed i never put in a k-member when i did my 331.

Thanks man. It's gonna get cleaned up but I just don't have the money or the time to repaint everything, fill all the little holes, and hide the wiring. I would love to do this now but I just can't but maybe next year when I put some aluminum heads on it I will be able to do these things. It would end up being months not weeks to do all that now. My budget is shot already though and I still have lots of little things to go.

Here is some more pics to look at.

Here is my car and a friends 90lx 7up car
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
A pic of the engine as I was getting ready to pull it out.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is a pic of the upper intake
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Just for kicks here is a pic of my Dad's race car. Dad and me built the car using a fiberglass body in our garage ourselfs. We did everything except paint the car. These pics are not very good because the car was just sitting in the garage.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is the 545ci big block ford powering the beast.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]