Engine pulled today, color of exhaust valve?

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
I pulled my 87' GT's original motor Sunday. Today I started tearing down the motor and noticed that the front 2 exaust ports on the right side of the motor where covered in white (see pic). The left side was the same but yet the back 2 ports were normal. Before I pulled the motor it ran but was giving me a white smoke at start up and at high RPM's. I do have a Cobra intake on it that has been there for 2 years and this issues just started out of the blue and the car ran perfect untill this smoke issue started. I started to thnk valve seals or rings but now I am not sure. Motor has 170K on it with great oil pressure. Input appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't say it's normal, but i can't quite offer a good explanation for it without seeing the condition of the HG and a compression check #'s for the engine

I'm going to have to agree that it's pretty normal. If anything it was running a little lean. It may also have something to do with your increase in initial timing and maybe even because you were running headers.

I wouldn't say it's normal, but i can't quite offer a good explanation for it without seeing the condition of the HG and a compression check #'s for the engine

I did a compression check and it checks out about 150 accross the board, like I say it ran good just ate oil and was giving radom blusish smoke at start up and at high RPM's. I have a pic of the HG and heads, all looks normal. I just thought it was odd that only the front 2 exh ports on each side of the motor had white carbon and not the back two! Seems like it should be uniform, especially from an EFI motor.