Engine removal

• Sponsors (?)

Define limited skills. If you had to could you change the water pump/alternator/intake manifold?

Are you going to pull the transmission also?

Four bolts for the hood, a couple motor mount bolts, four bolts for the radiator, 4, 5 or 6 bolts for the transmission/bellhousing, somes hoses & wires, and its out.

It's not near quite that simple, but it's not that difficult either. On the difficulty meter it hardly rates a 4. You just have to be carefull you don't drop it on anybody or thing. Safety is always a first.

1966conv pretty much has it nailed as far as the nuts and bolts of it, if you will. Though he did forget to mention the headers. I prefer to remove them entirely, though depending on your combo you may be able to disconnect them from the heads and still be able to pull the motor.

A good engine hoist with an angle plate on it is helpful. I've also found it useful to remove the transmission crossmember altogether instead of fiddling with trying to jack the tranny up into the hump and then slide it forward.

If you plan to leave the tranny in place, then it becomes a little more difficult in the sense that you will need to remove the bellhousing bolts, the inspection plates and then unbolt the flexplate/flywheel.

To me, It's easier to pull the engine and tranny together, then seperate them off the car if necessary.

Safety first!
The engine comes out easiest with the tranny still attached IMO.

If you pull the engine without the tranny, you add complexity that takes it to the next level of difficulty, so to speak.

I would say that if you are detail oriented, patient and careful you can do it. If you're the type that's always in a hurry and ready to skip steps, you might end up wishing you hadn't tried it. If you often start projects but don't finish them, it might be a bad move. Do you have a plan including a budget and plenty of money, time and space to finish the tasks?

You're going to want to label everything with bags, magic marker and masking tape. This includes all hoses, vacuum lines, bolts, nuts etc.

Now finally let me say that some people will tell you it takes a very short time to pull an engine. It can if you've done it before, but trying to do it quickly will mean trouble when it comes time to put everything back together.

I hope this is helpful.

It's not too hard, I pulled the motor out of mine for the first time when I was 16. I deffinitly had limited mechanicle experiance, the first time it does take a while, took me about 4 hours just to get it out. as menchined above, patients, detail, and a good manual or this site and you could probably do it. if you have access to the internet where you will be doing the work then this site would porbably be better then a good manual. also as menchined above if you pull the transmission with it, it will be a lot easier.

Ford Kid

I did mine myself and I`m a newbie

about 2 months ago, and have never done much more then change my own oil since I was a teenager.

Just do it, I was actually surprised it was this simple, I figured it would be hard.

One thing, take plenty of pics before you touch anything, its real handy to know where each wire went and things like that, especially if its been a few months since you pulled it all apart......(yes I`m facing this issue now)

One of my first projects was yanking the engine. 3.5hrs with a Craftsman wrench set and not a whole lot else. It IS NOT hard. Try pulling a Nissan V6 and replacing it a year later... puttin' the engine back in THAT project took a week!