engine sputtering

kstng50

Dec 15, 2003
South Jersey
I was driving my car today and when i got on it it would hesitate a little. It is fine under normal acceleration but when i would step on it it would sputter. It almost feels like when the traction control kicks in but i had that off. Any suggestions on what it might be? Maybe something to do with the fuel system?

• Sponsors (?)

Could be the fuel filter, sometimes when they get crap built up there it can make acceleration shuddery. Or In my case, my car did it when the engine got a little wet. the fuel injectors got blocked. Definatly sounds like a fule issue.

I just replaced the fuel filter a little while ago. I just got under the car to take the air filter out and it is pretty dirty. It is a MAC cold air intake with a mac filter. Can I put a K&N directly to the MAC CAI or will the K&N cleaner work on the MAC filter?

I didnt change the filter today I changed it last summer. But that was only a few thousand miles ago. I dont drive her to much just the weekends I take her out for a cruise. Also this filter has been on the car for a few years now and it is pretty dirty. I guess I will try the K&N cleaner tommorrow.

The cleaner is fine. The filter that Mac has works on the same premise as the K&N.

If the cars sits for any length of time you could be getting some build-up in the injectors. A decent FI cleaner would help.

Spark plugs are another item to look into.