Engine stalls, timing, distributor problems '95GT

72soft-top

Sep 9, 2004
Background: Car stalled intermittantly and sometimes would not start. I replaced each item and test drove for a week prior to replacing the next item.
This has been corrected by replacing the following in order:
1. New Plugs and wires
2. New ICM
3. New Coil
4. New MSD Distributor (I am convinced the stator failed when it heated up)

Now I installed the distributor but have bad pinging at high RPMs and sometimes low RPMs if the automatic is in OD. I run 87 octane.

The timing was adjusted by the Ford dealership but the initial timing could not be acheived. It's running better, but not 100%.
Could the distributor be installed (1) tooth off? I wouldn't think that matters? :shrug:
The car has no mods and is a stock 5.0 automatic.

• Sponsors (?)

Could the distributor be installed (1) tooth off?
It's impossible for the distributor to be "one tooth off". The distributor could be removed and installed in a slightly different orientation requiring the number one terminal position to be at a slightly different clock angle. If that happened, just rotate the distributor a bit more until you get the appropriate timing.

The timing was adjusted by the Ford dealership but the initial timing could not be acheived. It's running better, but not 100%.
Did they remove the 'spout' connector before they adjusted your timing. It sounds to me like they didn't since they couldn't achieve initial timing. I'm assuming when they say initial timing they mean 10 degrees.

Silver85TC:
I agree with what you stated. I just wanted to confirm this.

The timing was adjusted and the car is running great. I think the computer is beginning to learn and adjust as required. Yes, the spout connector was removed to reset the timing. I installed the MSD distributor and the FORD dealership was really taking a hands off approach to any further troubleshooting. That's why I'm posting HERE!

Thanks for the feedback so far, but I still have a problem.

The car now rattles (from the exhaust I think?) after a cold start and then the noise goes away. Are the cats known to break? It seems that once the car warms up, the rattling goes away?

The car now rattles (from the exhaust I think?) after a cold start and then the noise goes away. Are the cats known to break? It seems that once the car warms up, the rattling goes away?
Mine was doing that too. Now its really rattling all the time. I was hoping it was just a loose heat shield or something. I'm going to have to get under there to check it out.
ahh yes the cat rattle.

those puppies are on their way out!
Is this a common problem for the 94/95 cars?

Thanks