Engine Swap???

PraiseMyGt

Sep 10, 2017
Sup Fellow stang members
So I have a question about doing engine swap I'm looking to buy a new engine fully assembled or just getting a good running engine off the street. My question is do I have to do anything like adjust the timing chain or make cylinder 1 at TDC or anything like that or before installor starting up the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Normally when installing a "new to car" whole motor, the motor is put in following the service manual.

When installing a salvage yard motor it's usually a good idea to:
  • bar the motor over by hand
  • check the oil
  • perform a compression and/or a cylinder leak down check.
  • install a new rear main seal if high mileage.
  • install a new timing chain if over 150k Miles for the 4.6 modular motor.

Last edited:
So I would do compression/leak down test
Take off timing cover turncrankshaft to the right til cyclinder 1 is @ TDC on compression stroke and timing marks on cams and crankshaft line up V shape
Install new timing chain and pretty much done yah ???

What model year Mustang are well dealing with? What motor are we interested in?

Because the procedure described to install a timing chain in the 4.6 modular motor would likely leave a path a motor destruction in it's wake. This needs to be researched. Do your homework before attempting.

What model year Mustang are well dealing with? What motor are we interested in?

Because the procedure described to install a timing chain in the 4.6 modular motor would likely leave a path a motor destruction in it's wake. This needs to be researched. Do your homework before attempting.
Yes from the research I did that is what I found, it was a manual online for changing timing chain on a 4.6 2v motor