Ever have a series of "duh" moments?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
Sorry for wasting space, but I have to vent about my "duh" moment the other day.

I was at a friends house putting in an add-on car seat bracket in the rear of my 88 coupe.....yes, I will be installing a car seat so my 2 year old daughter can ride in "Daddy's race car". It is also my DD and with my Wife going back to work, I need to be able to drive. The other option was to let my Wife take my car the evenings she works.....so I put a car seat in the Mustang. Anyway....

I decided that with the rear panels removed I would go ahead and fix a small sagging part of my headliner. Which meant removing the over head light. I have a 93 dome light because I hate the plain square and "R2D2 map light" setup. So I wired the 93 to work. As I was putting it back together I crossed my wires to the light and blew a fuse. I figured it was getting late so I would just not install it and deal with it another day. So I get in the car and head back home, only to realize my radio isn't working due to the blown fuse. I figure "no big deal, I will drive to the sounds of the engine". I look down and notice I am almost on E, so I pull into the nearest gas station to fill up, reach over and hit the gas door release button and hear....nothing. Obviously that is also on the same fuse as the one I blew. So I stroll into the gas station to buy one of those cheap fuse kits...which they don't sell. So I get back in the car and drive to the next gas station.....which also doesn't sell fuses. So down the road I go stopping at each gas station on the way home to buy a fuse, pop it in, get my gas door open and fill up. Well, 5 gas stations later I finally find one that sells the fuses. Pop one in, the gas door opens, and I FINALLY start filling up. As I am standing there filling up, I look down towards my trunk and remember that there is a manual release for the gas door inside the trunk. I could have filled up at the first station if I remembered it back then....instead of wasting 20 minutes and risking running out of gas.

And still, I haven't reinstalled my dome light....but at least I have my radio again.

• Sponsors (?)

My fuel door button balks upon occasion so I have the cable pulled out just in case I need it.

My days are filled with DUHness, parted with brief moments of clarity. :D

That's a good story Fett!
You should have seen my face when I tried to drive away from a gas station once....but forgot to remove the pump handle from my car! It ripped that sucker right out of there alright! Tried to take the gas door with it. Ugly, embarrassing scene! I was so freaked out from the awful noise it created that I just kept driving, searching the mirror for car and gas pump parts that might be laying on the ground!
Glad you survived your ordeal. I was just sure you were going to say you ran out of gas next!!!
Ken