Exhaust Extremely Hot

Kyler_Pisczek

Aug 29, 2016
Question: I recently removed my smog pump and carbon cannister from my 92 mustang gt. The factory catalytic converters are still in place, and now my exhaust is getting EXTREMELY hot. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

• Sponsors (?)

and in other news.......... water is really wet, night is really dark, and ice is cold

Serious, you removed the smog pump- but don't know what its purpose is? Two clues- Smog and pump. Now, your car will throw off codes, and run like crap until you will melt the platinum inside your cats and they will clog up and your car wont run. Why did you remove your smog pump, as it pumps air into your cats. Same for the cannister, do you know what its purpose is before you removed it? more codes and you are now venting raw gas fumes .

Sorry for the rant but I don't understand why people remove parts randomly. My advice is to put them back on.

Reactions: 1 user
Put them back, especially the air pump.

However, they are unrelated. Exhaust gets hot. When my car warms up, my pipes are very hot. That's just how it is.

However, your cats need the air pump in order to function properly, and the charcoal canister gives your fuel tank fumes a safe place to be consumed so you don't blow up the car.

They cost virtually no power to run and removing them gains nothing

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk