Exhaust Question/HP Estimate

CobraCody

Feb 26, 2006
I recently discovered that I have a BBK O/R H-Pipe and unknown Flowmaster mufflers (just says "FLOWMASTER" and some patent stuff). How can I tell what kind of Flows they are? It looks like they 're just welded in the to stock catback because there's discoloration on the pipe before and after the mufflers, so I'm sure it's not a full catback.

EDIT: This is exactly what my car sounds like. I'm gonna guess Flowmaster ATs or 40 Series Deltas.

Also, with the mods I have listed, anyone have a horsepower estimate?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you can pretty much tell if they've been welded in by looking at your tips and also if it is 2.25" stock piping or the bigger 2.5" piping. Maybe you can tell what kind they are by the numbers on them, but im not sure. Also, you're looking at maybe 12-13rwhp gains from the o/r x and the crappy flowing flowmasters (but they sound damn good)

well measure the case. 40 series are two chamber, 50 series are 3 chamber.

flowmaster american thunder are 40 series and that is what most people put on. they drone worse than 50 serise but they are more agressive sounding.

midepipe is usually good for 8-10hp. k&n maybe 3-5hp, mufflers is hard to say since they are weld in. I would think your car is proably 12-18hp over stock.

HoustonGT said:
Well, you can pretty much tell if they've been welded in by looking at your tips and also if it is 2.25" stock piping or the bigger 2.5" piping.
I know they're welded in because they did a really bad job of it. It works, but it's just really ugly. The piping going into, and coming out of, the mufflers looks like the stock size because it's really small compared to the h-pipe.

hognutz said:
flowmaster american thunder are 40 series and that is what most people put on. they drone worse than 50 serise but they are more agressive sounding.
Mine drone a lot on the interstate, so American Thunders are probably a pretty good guess. My friend rode with me to Tampa one day and asked if I was riding the wakeup bumps once when I let off the gas.

The pipe going from the H to the mufflers, then out of the mufflers looks stock. But it also looks like I have an axleback weld-in, too.

Yeah, there's a leak. My car hisses + makes that clicking noise. Anyway, I'm gonna buy a Bassani Catback and see how it sounds with that BBK. If it sounds bad, then I'll use what I have until I get a Bassani O/R X-Pipe.

I'm getting a broken seat bracket welded for free, so I'll have the guy with my mufflers, too. He's got a $5,000 welder and won a national welding competition. So that's always a plus. :nice:

Please for your own sake, get the Bassani catback and Bassani O/R X-Pipe. I honestly think you'll cream yourself the first time you hear it with that setup...Not that i did or anything :(

Yeah, I have a nice clip from Mustang Exhaust of a 96 Cobra with a catted Bassani X and a Bassani catback and it sounds amazing. I can't imagine how awesome the O/R X would sound. I'd still like to have that welding fixed, though, because it's cheaper and I can't afford a new exhaust at the moment.

Is there any easy way I can check my headers to see if they're stock?

the bassani catback sounds sweet. In all honesty though if buying and aftermarket x-pipe. Look at the vrs. $250 to the door. it is a conventional x-pipe not a odd champber design like the bbk or the bassani. also look at magnaflow. I looked at all three when buying and the bassani was more money and it does not have as much affect on sound as the muffler.

nothing agains the bassani it is just more money than the magnaflow or the vrs and it is not a better product.

the catback is sick though I was really torn between it and the borla.

CobraCody said:
Is there any easy way I can check my headers to see if they're stock?
Look for the rust...seriously, ck the manifolds...it's a tight fit on the mod motor, but take a look under the hood on each side...you'll see em...and they are likely rusted like the rest of ours are. I'd bet that with welds ins, you're very likely looking at someone who was on a budget.
And those welds are REALLY bad...the piping looks like it was smashed, shoved and welded by someone who had never welded before. I'd bet it pops, barks and makes all kinds of noise when decellerating. Performance wise, you'd be better off with stock. Get that mess fixed.
Good luck and WELCOME!!! :flag:

hognutz said:
In all honesty though if buying and aftermarket x-pipe. Look at the vrs. $250 to the door.
BBK LTs, VRS O/R X, and a Dynomax Catback makes an amazing combo as far as sound goes. It makes a 96-98 Cobra sound like an old Mach 1.

twogts4us said:
Get that mess fixed.
I have a couple friends of friends who are welders, so I'm gonna get those welds cut off and redone with a little sheet metal. And I'll probably get the mid-muffler pipe completely replaced with some 3" pipe. It'll be a cheap fix until I get a catback.

Dreading the fix for the exhaust leak, though. It's up front. :( Either way, it sounds nice enough to keep me happy. Sound clip.

CobraCody said:
I have a couple friends of friends who are welders, so I'm gonna get those welds cut off and redone with a little sheet metal. And I'll probably get the mid-muffler pipe completely replaced with some 3" pipe. It'll be a cheap fix until I get a catback.

You want 2.5", not 3". 3 inch will cost you torque. This size engine simply does not need 3 inch pipes...in this case, bigger is NOT better.

CobraCody said:
Dreading the fix for the exhaust leak, though. It's up front. :( Either way, it sounds nice enough to keep me happy. Sound clip.
Sounds like it's pissing your mom off though...:D ...That was freakin funny...god, do I feel old.
ENJOY!!!