Exploding Rim!!!!!

fastcoupe68

Mar 10, 2004
nj
Nothing to do with our fav car but my brother was putting air in his tire which is on his F350 custom aluminum wheels and the rim let go or I should say exploded. It split right down the center where they welded the two halves together. I have never seen anything like this. Unfortunatley what happened to him was he got shot through the air 12 ft. Multiple fractures in his left forearm, and muscle damage. Multiple fractures in his lower left leg, and a detached right bicep. Thank God this is all that happened. It could have been alot worse. Guys and gals just be real carefull working on your favorite car, always make sure your equiptment is working correctly, and take every safety precaution you can. You never know what could happen. I know this was a freak accident but you never know.

• Sponsors (?)

i have seen it before, but usually with split rims like on older large trucks. however even stock steel wheels can have flaws in them that dont surface untill they have some miles on them. contact the wheel manufacturer and explain what happened, and see what they will do for your brother.

That sounds like a heck of an explosion. Hope he mends good and quick too! Was the wheel a stock item? I'm sure an aftermarket company would just say they never intended the wheel to be used on the road (only for racing, as with most performance bits you buy for cars) as a way out.

WOW. Wish your brother a speedy recovery. It sounds like a nightmare. I'll never forget a piece on 60 Minutes about 10-15 years ago on exploding 2-piece rims. They said that the amount of energy released in an exploding rim is enough to send the family station wagon (or mini-van) 6 feet straight up in the air, or launch a 15 pound bowling ball 1/4 mile. I think that they were talking about semi rims at 110 psi, but the picture sure etched in my mind. I think a lot about whether my air compressor tank is getting a little too rusty inside after 20 years, and the 3000 psi I strap on my back when I SCUBA dive.....

Best wishes to you brother.