Extra Plug under center console?

ARTTII

Jan 13, 2004
Detroit, MI
Anybody know what this is for? I had my console upper off today to "tweak" my lower shifter boot. I noticed a grey connector/plug that is just laying in the console. It terminates about midway back, and I'm 100% sure it was not plugged into anything from the factory - there is nothing near it to connect to!

My car is a '07 GT, April build date. Anyone know what this is for? I didn't have the camera handy, but if I have reason to I can open it up again I will get a picture. Only thing I could think it might be for is the '08 cars that got ambient lighting, it is about where the button would be... but that is a stretch!

• Sponsors (?)

That is possible, but it is well past the shifter. Also, I should have mention there are multiple (6+ maybe?) wires that go into the plug. It has a female end. I would think the shifter would be one wire + ground, but I don't konw for sure.

Maybe it is for a power passenger seat? Same thing though, don't think that many wires would be used.

Anybody know what this is for? I had my console upper off today to "tweak" my lower shifter boot. I noticed a grey connector/plug that is just laying in the console. It terminates about midway back, and I'm 100% sure it was not plugged into anything from the factory - there is nothing near it to connect to!

My car is a '07 GT, April build date. Anyone know what this is for? I didn't have the camera handy, but if I have reason to I can open it up again I will get a picture. Only thing I could think it might be for is the '08 cars that got ambient lighting, it is about where the button would be... but that is a stretch!

When I installed my nav a few months ago I wondered the same thing..

I just came to the conclusion that it was for an automatic car..?? :shrug:

The shifter illumination would require at least 2 wires, but what about the overdrive button? At least two more..

looks like my car is not alone! I'm guessing it must have something to do with the lack of auto shifter... that seems to be the only common thread among the posters in this thread

If anyone does find out it would be interesting to know, but now that I have the upper back on I all but forgot about it

RE: retrofitting the heated seats - I don't think it would be worth the effort or cost.

Besides all the wiring, I would think you would have to pull your seat covers to do the install, I can't see ANYONE wanting to do that (unless you are switching from cloth to leather at the same time)... also add up the cost of all the small parts and it would be a lot! assuming you could find all the necessary parts...

The Ford heated seats are not worth retrofitting. They are on a timer which is annoying, but they don't get hot or even warm really (thanks lawyers). They simply make the seat not cold. Definitely not worth the time, effort, hassle, and money to retrofit.