Faint Whine In Power Steering

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by other_shoe, Aug 5, 2014.

1. other_shoe

other_shoe Member

The pressure hose cracked on my power steering and I lost a bunch of fluid quickly. The good news is that I first heard the telltale groan of a pump low on fluid while pulling out of the garage, so I was able to pull back and and shut down without running the pump very long. I replaced the line and got what appears to be a leak-free seal on both ends. The reservoir is full and the fluid seems to go where it should.

The only problem is that there is now a medium volume whine or whishing purr when the wheels are in the straight ahead direction, i.e. not turning. I think the sound is coming from the control valve. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions on what might be causing this sound?

2. 7991LXnSHO

7991LXnSHO Well-Known Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Pump noise is the most likely culprit on every brand but the goofy Ford system. It is still where I would start if a good flush and thicker fluid does not quiet it down.
    I am afraid the whine from the driver's seat will not be so faint if you do not DIY. :-(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. other_shoe

other_shoe Member

Heh.

Thanks for both pieces of advice.

4. mhjo

Founding Member