Fake Hood Scoop ?

SANZ

May 11, 2003
SE Michigan
Well I finally got sick of cleaning out the bugs from the fake crap hood scoop every time I wash my car. I took the scoop off and removed the black insert. Is there anything besides aluminum inserts that you could put in there to cover up the holes. Anybody have a fix for this, other than buying a Cobra R or 03/04 hood. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

SANZ said:
Well I finally got sick of cleaning out the bugs from the fake crap hood scoop every time I wash my car. I took the scoop off and removed the black insert. Is there anything besides aluminum inserts that you could put in there to cover up the holes. Anybody have a fix for this, other than buying a Cobra R or 03/04 hood. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I wash my car in a Car Washing Bay...I use the High pressure hose...and any dirt/bugs come right out that plastic scoop....

What I hate, besides the fact that the honeycomb looks so fake, is when you do wash it, those little honeycombs hold water and slowly release it leaving nasty streaks down the center of the hood toward the grill.
I'm not into a big chrome scene either, so a polished stainless steel insert is not for me, but what I'd like to do is get a piece of plastic or aluminum, cut to size, prime and paint flat black, then use dbl sided foam tape or epoxy and attach it to that honeycomb. If it's fitted right, it would solve the water trap problem, and would kinda hide the fact that the scoop's a fake. Any thoughts?

twogts4us said:
What I hate, besides the fact that the honeycomb looks so fake, is when you do wash it, those little honeycombs hold water and slowly release it leaving nasty streaks down the center of the hood toward the grill.
I'm not into a big chrome scene either, so a polished stainless steel insert is not for me, but what I'd like to do is get a piece of plastic or aluminum, cut to size, prime and paint flat black, then use dbl sided foam tape or epoxy and attach it to that honeycomb. If it's fitted right, it would solve the water trap problem, and would kinda hide the fact that the scoop's a fake. Any thoughts?

Just for the water problem, I have a BLACK GT so you know that any bit of water will leave NASTY marks. I have two things that I like to do (depending on whether I'm being lazy or not). After doing the preliminary drying, I get in the car, gun it down the street and stop hard. Turn around and repeat. It'll get the water out of the tail lights and the hood scoop too, then just re-dry.

The lazy way is just to stuff two terry towels in there overnight. Obviously that's only if I'm not going anywhere. :)

--Jay

jaybertx said:
Just for the water problem, I have a BLACK GT so you know that any bit of water will leave NASTY marks. I have two things that I like to do (depending on whether I'm being lazy or not). After doing the preliminary drying, I get in the car, gun it down the street and stop hard. Turn around and repeat. It'll get the water out of the tail lights and the hood scoop too, then just re-dry.

The lazy way is just to stuff two terry towels in there overnight. Obviously that's only if I'm not going anywhere. :)

--Jay

To involved for me to drive the car hard and dry out the fake scoop of which I hate.

I just crank up the gas blower and blow the water out.

Reactions: 1 user
SANZ said:

Look in here:
http://www.ccmustang.com/

last night a buddy showed me what he did with his.
he actually vented his to cool engine compartment.
he drilled every little hole completely thru.
then he cut holes in underside of the hood & cut a chunk out of his hoodliner.
pretty trick.

Kinda' hard to believe that somebody hasn't come up with a universal kit to make the hood scoops on these cars functioning while retaining the stock scoop, hood, etc. It wouldn't have to be too complicated -- ram air from the scoop to the intake via some kind of flat aluminum ducting on the underneath of the hood. How many of you would buy a set up like this?

damacman said:
Kinda' hard to believe that somebody hasn't come up with a universal kit to make the hood scoops on these cars functioning while retaining the stock scoop, hood, etc. It wouldn't have to be too complicated -- ram air from the scoop to the intake via some kind of flat aluminum ducting on the underneath of the hood. How many of you would buy a set up like this?
the price is the most important part

damacman said:
I would definitly buy one of those kits, dependeing on hp gain and such. :nice: