FFW: New best MPH!

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Alright so my junk never seems to go faster than my 12.95 which I snagged at the FFW last year. This was the race I thought I could do it. My Trac Loc is gone, and knowing the car wouldnt hit the mid 1.9x 60' I thought it was hopeless. Well sure enough no new record, not even close, but I did learn some things.

1. My car has a damn mind of it's own. It's all over the place when it comes to timeslips and such. Also there is an issue with it. Every once in a while right after the shift the car has ZERO power for a half second or more. It doesn't happen every pass though. I know it's nothing with lifting, I dont lift when I run, but for some reason it just cuts power. Have to figure that out.

Well heres the breakdown, not bad for unported E7s and a stock cam :D.

(1st run, decent run no issues)
86.49 mph
109.27 mph (new best mph)

(2nd run, car had the issues mentioned above in 3rd and 4th)
85.93 mph
104.83 mph (HUGE loss in mph here)

(3rd and last run of the day car had the issue in third and I even threw my hands up in a pissed off manner, friends of mine were laughing at it)
86.14 mph
108.92 mph (backed up the 109 I thought was a fluke earlier)

(Day 2 1st pass)
86.51 mph
109.02 (Another 109, wtf)

(Day 2 pass 2 issues in 3rd, real bad)
84.79 mph (this was way down)
107.89 mph (also down due to the loss of power)

(Day 2 eliminations with 13.25 dial in)
86.95 mph (cars moving)
89.26 mph (on the brakes hard)

YUP my dumb ass broke out on the brakes. Who knows what it would have run, maybe a 13.0-13.1... But might have nipped a mid to high 109 mph which would have amazed me!

Crappy times, but a good day for me, car found 2 mph and Ive done NOTHING to it. No oil change, no tune up, nothing.

• Sponsors (?)

That's awesome for stock heads and cam....when i ran mine and got 13.89 i was thinking it should go 13.50s if i could get it to hook. Are you on slicks or drag radials? Don't tell me that's street tires or i'll come over and kill you :lol:

Sorry 85 SS 302, that was on my street radials. I might rebuild the traction lock, borrow some drag radials and head back out to see if it wont go into the 12.8s or better on the DRs. I've 60' much better with street tires than 2.0, but with a one legger its tough.

I ran True Street. My brother made it to the smi finals and lost. I made it to the first round and lost. The car is actually light but will be getting heavier soon. Weighs around 3200 lbs or so at the track.

BTW the car only made 258/295 on the dyno, so somewhere somethings working. 258 whp doesnt seem like 109 mph traps, but I'm NOT complaining.

Alright so my junk never seems to go faster than my 12.95 which I snagged at the FFW last year. This was the race I thought I could do it. My Trac Loc is gone, and knowing the car wouldnt hit the mid 1.9x 60' I thought it was hopeless. Well sure enough no new record, not even close, but I did learn some things.

1. My car has a damn mind of it's own. It's all over the place when it comes to timeslips and such. Also there is an issue with it. Every once in a while right after the shift the car has ZERO power for a half second or more. It doesn't happen every pass though. I know it's nothing with lifting, I dont lift when I run, but for some reason it just cuts power. Have to figure that out.
Great numbers, 25th. :nice:

Stock bottom end, with a stock cam, 1.7 rockers, the E7s have GT40 valves and a valve job, but the intake and exhaust ports arent touched and the thermactor bumps are still there. Untouched cobra intake, TB, MAF exhaust, 3.73s. Ranger 28 spline axles, on 285 street tires.

That run was at New England Dragway which is very close to sea level. Not sure what the DA was that day, but it was hotter than last year, and I only went 106 last year there. It freaked me out to see 109, and then a couple more times.

Also to note that was with 26 lbs of air in the tires. Pumped them up to 35 on the last run and saw that almost 87 mph 1/8th trap. Wish I ran it out now.

The 258 is pretty weak too. Not sure why the car makes such little power, but the track times dont reflect it. Id rather see 109 mph with 258, then 106 mph with 300 like lots of others see.

Thanks guys. Might build a motor based on these E7s... :D

Heck why not just get some fresh GT40s? They'll flow better and they're till technically stock heads. There's a ton of guys around here running 12.50s on complete Explorer blocks with nothing more than a cam and valve spring upgrade.

Heck why not just get some fresh GT40s? They'll flow better and they're till technically stock heads. There's a ton of guys around here running 12.50s on complete Explorer blocks with nothing more than a cam and valve spring upgrade.

Yeah our GT40P car has been 12.17 @ 110, but he was only going 107-108 (hit 109 once) this past weekend. Even my friends NMRA set up cars (VERY loose, but valve jobed GT40s, race cars) were only going 107-109 mph.

Call me dumb, but something about a 306 with E7s going into the 11s on motor and 10s on the bottle... well it just makes me smile. :D

My friend suggested fuel filter for a cause of the issues. I plan on a tune up, fuel filter, clean the air filter, rebuild the trac loc and borrow some 17 or 18" drag radials. Id be happy in the 12.7 area on something like that.

Mine, miiiight have just sold my seats and bought something else... Picking them up tonight actually, then making them fit.

I think I told you I wanted to buy these specific seats for years, finally found them for a good deal. Not only that but a wood rear seat delete, sound deadener (sp?). I will definately post pics when they make their way into the car!

Oh yeah Bill, "The Final Countdown" is rocking here at work. I know you'd appreciate that!!