Finance your modifications?

SFLDragon

Dec 27, 2004
Hello all,
I am in the process of working with a Ford dealer in South Florida on a program that would allow people like you to finance certain modifications when purchasing a vehicle through this dealer. The discussions are in the preliminary stages however we are likely to offer this unique program very soon. The modifications will include gears, exhaust, CAI, shifter and suspension. We would dyno your car following all additions then present you with the dyno sheet accompanied by your option sheet in some sort of wooden plaque. With other modifications would be possible depending on other factors. I’m posting this to judge the response and show interest in this. Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

• Sponsors (?)

Pretty good idea, actually is being done by many dealerships all ready.....

In fact with new car margins falling fast, many dealerships are looking to make points any way they can.....

It is a pretty good idea, because mods can be added right into the financing......and dealerships can bolt on aftermarket performance parts with relative ease......

Finance modifications???

I dunno, but that seems like asking for trouble if you ask me. I just don't think mods should be financed. It's going to make the cost of modifications end up being more in the long run. Parts you could buy for $1000-1500 are going to end up costing you $2000-2500 in the long run.

I just think if you can't afford to modify your car, you shouldn't.

Yes this is nothing new, actually its like what was going on in the last 60’s with the “dealer installed options”.

We are considering numbering the cars and selling “stages”. Body and wheel options are also being discussed.

Yes the mods will cost more in the long run, but it allows someone to enjoy them now and have them installed but professional mechanics.

The other option is partial payment of the mods when purchasing the car.

OT. Why does this site give me “Can't Find the Web Site forums.stangnet.com” every other time I try to post?

Sounds good, but it doesn't seem like anything special. I can go to my local bank, take out a loan, and get my mods done wherever I want. What would be the benefit of having it done at a dealer? I'm not bashing here, just inquiring

This is nothing new and many ford dealers have been doing it for years! We currently do this on almost %60 of the new vehicles that we sell. We have an entire department with 3 salesmen just doing our aftermarket sales and installations, if we sell a truck they will sell you a grill guard and bed liner, if we sell an SUV they will sell you running boards and a grill guard or whatever you want. One thing to watch out for though is that if you are a Ford dealership you cannot install engine modifications unless you are a ford motosport dealer (ford perfomance parts program) so unless this dealer is a motosport dealer that your plan is actually not going to be allowed by ford and trust me the fine is massive if you decide to do it anyway. The reason for this is because technically engine modifications void factory warranty and ford dosent want dealers voiding warranty on brand new vehicles before the customer ever takes delivery!

If you are a motosport dealer then you are all set and it should be an easy way to make a few extra bucks on your mustang but I am assuming that since you are asking this question you are probably not motosport certified.

so basically..you get ripped off on the price of mods...because you are too impatient to actually save up the money for them..then you let some retard ford mechanic install them on your car..who'll probably break more things in the process..now where does this whole idea make sense again?

How serious can you get for modifications? What about warranty?

Say i buy an '05GT. Now i want a dealer installed Supercharger, 4.10's and exhaust and shifter.

Now 2000 miles later, rear end blows. Will i get it fixed under warranty?

WHat if i buy a 2005GT and install the stuff myself? If the rear blows after 2000 miles, and then i go in and they see the rear has been modded and there is a blower on the car, my warranty claim will be rejected immediately.

Mustang5L5 said:
Ford does not care who installs the modifications. They warranty the car in stock condition, period. Put a supercharger on and the drivetrain warranty is history. Now, perhaps the dealer will offer their own warranty, but that is not Ford...

Dave

Mustang5L5 said:

Say i buy an '05GT. Now i want a dealer installed Supercharger, 4.10's and exhaust and shifter.

Now 2000 miles later, rear end blows. Will i get it fixed under warranty?

WHat if i buy a 2005GT and install the stuff myself? If the rear blows after 2000 miles, and then i go in and they see the rear has been modded and there is a blower on the car, my warranty claim will be rejected immediately.

It all depends on why it happened, I know the dealer in question will treat it like its an untouched part. Not sure if they want to get into blower installs (i know they did install pulleys on 03-4 Cobras) but if a factory defect caused the rear to get then it would be covered like anything else.

If the dealer is a ford motorsport dealer no matter what mods they install they will be covered by the factory warranty. If motorsport offers a blower for a 05gt and you have it installed at the dealership it is covered under your standard 3/36. If the dealer is not motorsport certified they are not supposed to perform drive train mods on ANY new vehicle no matter what!!

I wouldn't mind putting a 'down payment' (lets say half) on a blower and then financing the rest ... but then again I do like paying things out of pocket and owning them.

Payments suck. When you owe people money, they own you.

1990StangLX said:
so basically..you get ripped off on the price of mods...because you are too impatient to actually save up the money for them..then you let some retard ford mechanic install them on your car..who'll probably break more things in the process..now where does this whole idea make sense again?

no you are able to enjoy something right now that otherwise you would not have been able too. And the mechanics working here are actually quite good.

joshman1204 said:
If the dealer is a ford motorsport dealer no matter what mods they install they will be covered by the factory warranty. If motorsport offers a blower for a 05gt and you have it installed at the dealership it is covered under your standard 3/36. If the dealer is not motorsport certified they are not supposed to perform drive train mods on ANY new vehicle no matter what!!

they are a motorsport dealer, however they are also in a different situation than most dealers, they actually buy the cars from Ford thus they own them allowing for leniency to mod. This is what I was told anyway.

joshman1204 said:
:bs: i call BS on that. do you have any proof in writing from one of the senior people at ford or from official ford documentation?