First 1/4 mile run - disappointed

I'll preface this by saying this was only the second time I've been to the strip, first in the Stang. My best time was 14.39 @ 98.9 with a 2.199 60 ft and I was carrying a 160lb passenger. The other 3 runs I either missed a shift or spun bad out of the hole. For all the runs I did a quick dry spin before staging and launched at 2500 - 3000. By the end of the night the 3k launch was good for nothing but wheel spin through first.

Here are my mods:
- 92 LX 5.0 5spd
- stock block, stock GT-40P heads and Explorer Intake, E303 cam
- stock MAF and TB / BBK cold air
- FRPP AL driveshaft and 3.73s
- electric fan, underdrive pulleys
- Headers, UPR catted X, Dynomax SuperTurbo catback
- Fairly new Nitto 555's in 275 in the rear
- dont know the timing, never been dyno'd by me

Any thoughts as to what the car should be capable of?

• Sponsors (?)

well that 60ft is horrible. Dont rev it so much out of the hole. Get better tires if you are wanting to launch at 3K. Feather it out of the hole and once you start moving then get on it. get that 60 ft down. I would work on that first if I was you. Seems if you drive alittle better you prolly a little better. Practice makes perfect. Practice your shifting and lauching on the street. If you get that down your ET will drop.

well that 60ft is horrible. Dont rev it so much out of the hole. Get better tires if you are wanting to launch at 3K. Feather it out of the hole and once you start moving then get on it. get that 60 ft down. I would work on that first if I was you. Seems if you drive alittle better you prolly a little better. Practice makes perfect. Practice your shifting and lauching on the street. If you get that down your ET will drop.

I didnt copy you above I was typing this the same time you was LMAO

My advice is. Do not get caught up in chasing numbers. This will only lead to disappointment!

If you had a pasinger in the car with you. Ditch the passinger and any additional weight. run with a 1/4 tank of gas or less.
You will go deep into the 13's easy.

You want good numbers? Then get some slicks....IF you have subframe connectors.

First order of business, get some full length subframe connectors, either MM or Steeda. Then get some slicks. Heat them up, hold at 5k at the line, drop the hammer. You should see low 13s with what you have. You are running a similar setup as I have, and I run 13.1 @ 102 all day long on slicks.

Just my opinion, but I won't bother going to the track on street tires. Slicks or nothing for me. A 5k blast off the line is simply too much fun.....throw some spray on it and it gets that much better.

Thanks guys, good advice. :nice:

I had the tires at normal pressure. I thought that for street tires, lowering the pressure actually hurt because then you are riding on the sidewalls.

I don't have SFCs yet, but even when I get them, I probably won't do slicks, because I'm really just doing this for fun and I don't want to blow up the rear end. I just wanted to get an idea how close to my car's potential I was, and from the sound of it, I have lots of room for improvement. :doh:

I have the same exact mods as you except I have real gt40's (no difference really), and a 90mm mass air (that opened it up a ton). Before I had the mass air I ran 13.84 @ 98.5 with slicks. After I got the mass air on I ran 13.77 @ 102.34 with a 2.04 60 foot on cold street tires and the timing at 13-14*. Get a timing light and set the timing around there, you dont need a dyno to set timing. (Pull the spout connector too) I think with a good tune and the delete of the A/C crap we can hit deep 13's with our setup. My buddy ran 12.8 on slicks with Trickflow intake, GT40's, some kinda cam, 10.5:1 compression and an ok tune.

I still think that with slicks, and beating the hell out of it, you should see low 13s with no problem. I have stock E7 heads that I gasket matched and an e-cam, and I run 13.1. I would think that GT40Ps would be better than gasket matched E7s any day. I ran with 15* timing and saw 13.2s consistantly, bumped it to 17* on a cool day and hit 13.1 consistantly.

As mentioned above, axles might be a question...but I have stock axles, as do a lot of people I know who run faster. Granted it's a chance, and I am not going to spray on my stock axles again...but for some motor runs, you should be fine.

Thanks guys, good advice. :nice:

I had the tires at normal pressure. I thought that for street tires, lowering the pressure actually hurt because then you are riding on the sidewalls.

I don't have SFCs yet, but even when I get them, I probably won't do slicks, because I'm really just doing this for fun and I don't want to blow up the rear end. I just wanted to get an idea how close to my car's potential I was, and from the sound of it, I have lots of room for improvement. :doh:

that's true, on normal street radials it hurts to drop the psi, and even more to do a burnout. but on drag radials, you can drop the psi to around 15 and be fine. and DEFINITELY get some sfc's. i just had a set welded on my car maybe a month ago and it did wonders as far as chassis rigidity and launching. made the car feel a LOT more solid.

get some drag radials or cheater slicks, get rid of tire spin, spinning tires makes the E/Ts inconsistant. with traction your runs will be more consistant and you can start working to improve them. spinning tires is one more thing to worry about.

and i agree about it trapping a little low.

i would expect that to 102-104 or something like that. my bone stock engine with gears and bolt ons managed 99 mph.

but if your spinning off the line and letting off the gas that could affect it some.

get tires!

2.1 is not a bad 60ft for street tires. Lose the stock maf and TB, there holding you back.

DR's will help you dip into the 13's. Nittos are cheap and you can drive them in rain. They will last you 10-15,000 miles.

You don't need sub frame connectors, you don't have to change your axles, but I would change the maf and TB. The only thing else you should really consider is a set of torque box reinforcements. Because they are kinda weak and tear easily.

I turned a 13.8 at 98mph w/ a 1.8 60.