first brake job, not sure if i did things right

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
ok, i got the tire off, got the old pads out and put the new pads in and got everything back together, but the brakes squeak really bad. ( i got lincon mark 7 4 wheel disk brakes if that helps) what im wondering is, they are squeakin really bad, what can i do to get them to not do it? cuz it sounds really really bad. thanks guys
Joel

• Sponsors (?)

sometimes the pads have certain sides they belong on. I would make sure you got them on the correct sides. Also, when doing a brake job, the old brake dust gets everywhere. Buy some brakeleen or carb cleanor and spray down those rotors really good. If you use the spray method first, their is no need to remove the calipers, just spray the rotors down good. I would recommend having the rotors turned or replaced but its not absolutely nescarry.

ok, i went out and swapped the pads cuz i had them on the wrong sides and it helped alittle bit, but now i have other problems. the drivers side caliper seems to be clamped shut on the rotor. the rotor gets really really hot when i drive it around the block. and the passenger side caliper seems like its not clamped down enough, but the pins are as tight as i can get them. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

Make sure the rotor is flush against the wheel hub...and check the caliper slide pins. Pull out the pads, and unbolt caliper, and finally unbolt the bracket that's holding the caliper in place. There should be two long pinsthat have rubber boots around them. Thats where the caliper bolts to. Check to make sure that they slide in and out freely.

How worn were your old pads when you pulled them out?

Well now you might be talking about seized caliper pistons. Not havin' much luck here, huh? That happened to me on my grandpas caddy. Thing was smoking so bad it looked like the rad was overheating! Be careful now while driving until you figger it out. Glazed and burning pads won't stop you too well!

Once it cools down (!) take it apart and start workin' with the caliper piston. Make sure the boot isn't torn. Brake dust inside there can seize up the piston. Use a c clamp to retract the piston and see if it moves. It won't move easily but it should move.

I'll stop here because I'm not a mechanic and brakes are nuthin' to be messing around with if you don't know what you're doing...

G'Luck

i used a c clamp and the block of wood when i did the origonal brake swap and it seemed to work fine, but when i have the car jacked up and im spinin the tire i can hear the pad rubbing on the rotor about half way around. im kinda in the dark here, so anything advice will help.

I know you need to get your siezed caliper problem taken care of, but generally, the squeeling from new pads is like they said, you didn't put greese on the back of the pads. Also, if the squeeling is a problem, are the pads shimmed? If they are, they should have a metalish piece on the back of the pads. Usually rivited to the back of the pad. Either way, goto the store, get a tube of Caliper Greese and put that on the back of the shim. If they arn't rivted, put caliper greese on both sides of the shim, then put the shim on the pad, then put the combined unit into the clips on the rotor. Hope this helps.

Check to make sure that they slide in and out freely. If not, the caliper won't move and will be stuck in one position. Ford's design isn't all that slick on those. It is very easy for water to get in there and form rust.