First time at the track...

Side0ut

Feb 18, 2003
Well, I was nervous but I finally made it to the track. I am a little bit bummed because I did not get into the 13's. My best for the night was the following..

60 ft - 2.1710
330 ft - 5.9839
1/8 ET - 9.1362
1/8 MPH - 78.40
1/4 ET - 14.0778
1/4 MPH - 99.91

I am not sure what I need to do differently to get into the 13's. I was so close that I could taste it but a few more runs after this one did not get me any closer. All I really know is that I spun bad in 1st and 2nd gears. One run, I spun so bad in 2nd gear that I had to let off of it so that I would not slide over. That run was a 15.7 1/4 ET. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

• Sponsors (?)

i always got best results at track and street by launching just barly over idle with no spin. it got me a 13.9 @ 100. with a 2.1 60' in my 99 gt and all it had was a k&n and no mufflers. but practice is they key.

Hey, great time! My first time drag racing was in my cobra with 431rwhp/456rwtq STD. I ran 13.7 on my first pass. With practice (8 passes) and some friendly advice from Cobra Killer(Tim), I was able to get down to 12.4@114 before my low gas light came on. Like many told me, you're racing yourself at the strip. Practice, learning the best technique for your car, and consistancy are the things we all work for.

-Jason

I know you guys are right.. I just hopefully need a little more practice. I can say that going to the strip is alot differnet from drag racing on the back streets in the country. I was just hoping that with my mods, they would help me a little more. I guess that since I am almost 300lbs, that does not help much either. I guess now I have some more incentive to lose some weight.. hehe..
I went to San Antonio Raceway and I was told that all I needed was a helmet. I used my motorcycle helmet. I thought it was pretty cool, they said that I could have my wife in the car as long as I did not go faster than 14.0 but she was a little scared and decided to just watch from the stands. I had alot of fun. I saw alot of the cars would park and then open their hoods. Does this help them or are they just showing off their engines?

Thanks,

Rich

Side0ut said:
I know you guys are right.. I just hopefully need a little more practice. I can say that going to the strip is alot differnet from drag racing on the back streets in the country. I was just hoping that with my mods, they would help me a little more. I guess that since I am almost 300lbs, that does not help much either. I guess now I have some more incentive to lose some weight.. hehe..
I went to San Antonio Raceway and I was told that all I needed was a helmet. I used my motorcycle helmet. I thought it was pretty cool, they said that I could have my wife in the car as long as I did not go faster than 14.0 but she was a little scared and decided to just watch from the stands. I had alot of fun. I saw alot of the cars would park and then open their hoods. Does this help them or are they just showing off their engines?

Thanks,

Rich
Yeah, racing at the strip and on regular street asphalt is soooo different. You have to launch totally differently. I spin a lot more at the track :shrug: And I don't drive through the box.

They open their hoods to let the engines cool, colder engine = more power :) You can also ice the intake to cool it faster, but make sure you wrap a towel around the bag of ice so you don't drip water on the ground.