First time at track, stuf I need?

fromadig91

Jul 27, 2008
Thinking bout going to the track this Saturday, what do I actually need for the track? is there a dress code? Drive a 04 Cobra, does certain HP require certain gear? does this vary track to track?

MORE IMPORTANTLY does my insurance cover my car at the track? on the off chance I plant it into the wall will they pay for it? or are they gonna tell me to F*** off? Any insight is appreciated :D

• Sponsors (?)

+ 1 on the coolant and cash.

I had a top rad. hose pop off on me when I went to Englishtown Raceway. Super easy fix. But I had to bother some dude for his pliers so that I could loosen the clamp and put the hose back on... Embarrasing...

It helps to have a small toolbox(bare essentials) with you on a track outing.

Insurance will not cover a racing accident.... (track that is, street depends). Anyway, take a small tool box as suggested, a helmet as I imagine that you will need it with the cobra, tire air guage, small air comp if you have one to air ur tires back up for trip home (or just spot a gas station close to the track on your way in).

Jack and stands, just in case. Chairs, cooler with water in it, sun screen, enough cash to pay for a tow home if you don't have a trk and trl avail in case of breakage.

Sounds like a lot of stuff but its only a few things to be prepared for the worst. But having fun is really most important. Good luck.

The rules state that a helmut is required for anything 13.99 or faster. That said, the track I go to requires a helmet for everyone, including a bone stock beetle that runs 20.x at 60mph. The helmet should be Snell SA, not M (motorcycle) and some tracks may be picky about that. Other tracks don't care at all if you wear a helmet, but I haven't been to one of those.

A firejacket is typically required for anyone 11.99 or faster or anyone that has a power adder (blower, turbo, nitrous). However, for cars with a stock turbo or stock blower, they won't ussually require it. I got in trouble for not having a firejacket on my 2.3 with a stock turbo running high 12s. I guess they thought I was pushing that rule too far. :shrug:

Typical insurance will not cover you on the track, however there are some specialty policys of sorts that you can get from some companies that will cover you. It is much more common to find this type of insurance for a road course though.

When I go to the track, I typically bring my small cigarette lighter powered air compressor, tire gauge, box of tools, nitrous bottle, fire jacket, helmet, box of random spare parts, camera and water. But that's for my 88, it is slightly less than reliable. :( In the 97, ussually just my helmet, and water to drink. I don't bring coolant... they have places to get water and plain water will work just fine to get you home.