First time track outing Gremlins

classic boost

Founding Member
Feb 3, 1999
canton, oh
well, any day you can drive your car onto the trailer is a good day.
that being said, i made three passes. i have a horrible bog/stumble that i haven't yet tuned out. it's getting way too much pump shot. all runs were with ~15psi on 275/50-15 m/t radials.
1st pass i left just off of idle. it stumbled bad (2.37 60ft). i ran 105mph 1/8 and 11.47 133mph.
2nd pass left at 2000rpms and it bogged so bad it almost stalled. it took forever to clear up and gave me a 4.90 60ft. yes, a 4.9 60ft. still ran 130mph.
3rd pass i left at 2k and rolled into it. (1.83 60ft) it gave me a 104mph 1/8 and shortly after my exhaust came loose from the downpipe, dragging the ground resualting in a spectacular spark show. i obviously got on the brakes but somehow managed to pull a 10.90 @ 119 out of my ass.
the thing is, i have 26" tall tires, 3.27 gears, and am going through the traps at 6500rpms. that equates to about 16% converter slippage. the main reason on running today was to test the converter. 6500rpms should give me 140mph.
anyways, it could have gone better, but nothing major broke, and the engine ran clean to 6500 (minus the bog).

• Sponsors (?)

rbohm said:
sounds like a smaller squirter and you will have a serious machine there. not a bad start though.
yeah, i swapped the rear .028 for .025. that helped alot. i also put the smallest cams in the front and rear. i didn't have an extra .025 for the front. i'll have to pick one up.
i'll get the converter worked on this winter. i'd like to see 140mph.

I hate you.:Teh-Win: How did the track like that pass ? say anything about it ? I don't remember ever seeing a cage. Time to give your buddies N2O car a run his money. Run him 5 times in a row, run him out of the bottle and then really stick it to him.
Did Kevin take the PVCR's out any ? Seems real weird that it can be fat with such a small squirter. Does it jump a little then bog ? Or fall DEAD on it's face ? Guess you could try to back of the plunger. Give it a little slack. If it gets better with the delay in gas, it may really be lean.:shrug: Just seems weird ya know ? I have to run 35-37's.
Pssst, I am working on a deal for a new part. Seeing as this new addiction is going to get me into trouble, I found a new foundation.

How did the track like that pass ? say anything about it ? I don't remember ever seeing a cage.
lol. that night the track didn't even have tech. you could run a 9 sec 'vert without a cage and they won't say anything.

Time to give your buddies N2O car a run his money.
he was there. on a 200 shot he ran a 9.04@151. you can race him.

Does it jump a little then bog ? Or fall DEAD on it's face ?
dead on it's race. the cloud of black smoke is a dead give away also.

I was wondering this when I started the build. The only thing I can think is that when it starts to build boost, and the vacuum starts to drop, but hasn't built any boost, it just may not need much at all cause the mains are going almost full bore already.

he was there. on a 200 shot he ran a 9.04@151. you can race him.

I could give it a shot. The new block starts with an A, and ends with a 4. But all that crap takes money. Besides, that 76'er will make more than 15 psi right ? :)

Wow you guys are crazy!!!:D Those cars are going to be sick when they are tuned. I can't believe they are flying like that when their tunes are off so badly. I was hoping to break 11's but I don't think that will happen at 4000ft elevation with my combo.:Damnit: