Fixing a few things on the car.

5.0_GT_kid

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Largo, Florida
Well with my car being 13 years old, **** is starting to go bad, so its about time to repair some of it. Here is the short list of things I want to do first.

- Drive side door lock actuator needs replacing: I've never done this before, can anyone tell me how hard of a job it is to do? Any special tools needed?

- Driver side window switch: It works the driver side window and door locks fine, but it doesn't control the passenger side window (which works fine with the passenger side switch) To do this, does the control thingy simple disconnect from a wiring harness or will I need to do some cutting and splicing?

- HVAC control lights don't work: Don't know if it's a fuse, because all the other lights work, but assuming a bulb or something needs to be replaced, how hard is it to get to and what do I have to do?

- Wiper switch doesn't work...I have no clue how to fix it. I'm pretty sure it's just the switch, since the wipers work if I hit the windshield washers

- Clear plastic covering the gauges is hazy and cracked. I know there are 2 screws up in that area, I assume you just remove those and then pop off the headlight knob and everything pulls out?

I know it's alot of things to answer, but thanks in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Well with my car being 13 years old, **** is starting to go bad, so its about time to repair some of it. Here is the short list of things I want to do first.

- Drive side door lock actuator needs replacing: I've never done this before, can anyone tell me how hard of a job it is to do? Any special tools needed?

no special tools. the door panel needs to come. r u sure its the actuator?

- Driver side window switch: It works the driver side window and door locks fine, but it doesn't control the passenger side window (which works fine with the passenger side switch) To do this, does the control thingy simple disconnect from a wiring harness or will I need to do some cutting and splicing?

no splicing needed, just disconnect it and put the new one in.

- HVAC control lights don't work: Don't know if it's a fuse, because all the other lights work, but assuming a bulb or something needs to be replaced, how hard is it to get to and what do I have to do?

most likely just the bulbs. take the radio bezel off and then there are 4 torx screws holding the hvac controller in place.

- Wiper switch doesn't work...I have no clue how to fix it. I'm pretty sure it's just the switch, since the wipers work if I hit the windshield washers

- Clear plastic covering the gauges is hazy and cracked. I know there are 2 screws up in that area, I assume you just remove those and then pop off the headlight knob and everything pulls out?

take out those 2 screws and the headlight knob and the bezel will come out. u may need to then remove the gauge cluster so u can get the lens off the gauge cluster.

I know it's alot of things to answer, but thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the help Cobra guy. I'm sure it's the actuator, because when you hit the door lock switch it makes an awful screeching noise, and it's right in line with what other people experienced when their actuators went bad.